Thread: Brand new to video editing...not sure where to even start.

Default Brand new to video editing...not sure where to even start.

This seemed like the right forum. If not, mod can move it.

I am brand new to the video taking and editing world, I barely have any idea what I am talking about.

Ok so I just got a JVC HD Everio GZ-HM200. I want to start making movies, both family movies, and special effect projects. I want to buy video editing software, but I have no idea what I知 even looking for. The only programs I know about are Sony Vegas, After Effects, and Avid, but I知 not sure exactly what I知 even looking for.

I want a program that let痴 me edit a movie frame by frame and alter layers in said frame, not just re-arrange clips like Microsoft Movie Maker. Specifically I want to undertake a short light saber effect clip. I can make the graphics easily enough, but have no idea how to input those graphics into the clip via frame by frame. Now that is just a side mission, although I want a program that allows special effects to be added, I still want said program to let me improve normal videos as well.

I have a computer that runs Windows XP, and a decent enough budget to spend on a program, though After Effects is a little high, and CS5 cannot run on my computer.

I suppose the real question is where should I start if I want ot get into video editing? Are there certain sites I should visit? What kind of program am I even supposed to be looking for? I think the term is non-linear, but I知 not sure.

I知 brand new and am not real sure where to start

Any help and or advice is appreciated

Last edited by Mandalorian; 05-21-2010 at 04:11 AM.

Sony Vegas Pro 9 will do most of what you want. You may also need After Effects if you want to get into special effects.