Thread: Rally Dvd's

1. Default Rally Dvd's

Just found the site so thought i'd share a sample of what we do.

This is a sample from a compilation dvd I made for a customer. Not much effects involved but the type of composition doesn't require it. Always open to critisum and any hints and tips.

Ps some footage is a little shakey but sometimes this cant be avoided (rough terrain etc.....)
    Also only starting to use photoshop so have now got a better more professional looking water mark for copyright purposes

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZruOuXK2k"]YouTube - Moffett Family Compilation (Flyin Finn Motorsport)[/ame]
    Last edited by Paddy@FFM; 05-21-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Flipping heck, how many cameras did you use on that shoot ?

3. Default

Its compiled over 2 years from many events.... Camera's would range from sony handy cam's at the begining to Canon XM1's and an XM2 as the need progressed ( we use these because quality is good and price is ok due to them been very open to the Irish elements ie raining alot

Well it had me fooled (not hard to do).

I thought because it was the same car it was all one race. Good shots.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Well it had me fooled (not hard to do).

I thought because it was the same car it was all one race. Good shots.
    Its a Rallying familly and there's 3 different cars mixed in through out (but in fairnes they all look similar )

Cheers Paddy

Well this just goes to show how much I know about cars.

One thing I will say about the filming which in general was fine. Some of the shots seemed to have the camera searching for the car. I think it's better to start with a stationary camera and let the car come into shot, this creates a more professional feel to the shot I think.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Well this just goes to show how much I know about cars.

One thing I will say about the filming which in general was fine. Some of the shots seemed to have the camera searching for the car. I think it's better to start with a stationary camera and let the car come into shot, this creates a more professional feel to the shot I think.
    Thats actually something i've started to do myself lately as i noticed the issue while editing. Thanks and must put it into practice more...

Blog Entries

Dunno if the pros will disagree with me but I thought the camerawork was excellent. Keeping a moving subject filling the frame yet in the frame takes quite a bit of skill. OK it's a bit easier because there is a road so you do know where it should be travelling, but nevertheless I thought you did well to keep the shots well composed. I presume you had opportunity to practice each shot as other cars drove past first.

If it weren't for Midnight's comment above, I don't think I'd have noticed the searching - probably because you did a good job hiding it in the edit.

The biggest weakness to me was the use of zoom. We often had a framed shot, the car would come towards us, we'd get a crash zoom out and then the rest of the shot with the same focal length. This wasn't always the case and in some of the shots the zoom was a lot smoother and followed the action. I presume the better shots were a result of your improving skills.

Not my sort of stuff and not the sort of thing I'd normally watch all the way through, but this kept me entertained (probably more as an amateur filmmaker than as a car enthusiast, but entertained nevertheless).

Thanks for sharing.
    Tim

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Dunno if the pros will disagree with me but I thought the camerawork was excellent. Keeping a moving subject filling the frame yet in the frame takes quite a bit of skill. OK it's a bit easier because there is a road so you do know where it should be travelling, but nevertheless I thought you did well to keep the shots well composed. I presume you had opportunity to practice each shot as other cars drove past first.

If it weren't for Midnight's comment above, I don't think I'd have noticed the searching - probably because you did a good job hiding it in the edit.

The biggest weakness to me was the use of zoom. We often had a framed shot, the car would come towards us, we'd get a crash zoom out and then the rest of the shot with the same focal length. This wasn't always the case and in some of the shots the zoom was a lot smoother and followed the action. I presume the better shots were a result of your improving skills.

Not my sort of stuff and not the sort of thing I'd normally watch all the way through, but this kept me entertained (probably more as an amateur filmmaker than as a car enthusiast, but entertained nevertheless).

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks very much tim glad you enjoyed it. Different levels in camera work would be due to (for these sort of dvd's we use any available footage we have to add "weight" to the project) we some time give handy cams to friends to use while they are at these events to she if they can get any good clips that we might be able to use in projects like this....