Thread: Smooth Pan & Zoom

Default Smooth Pan & Zoom

I have heard of and used the "rubber band on the tripod head" trick to get a smooth pan however, I just can't get a smooth zoom. Either the camera shakes from triggering the zoom or the zoom speed tweaks out and will from a medium speed to super fast ruining a shot. I have heard of Panasonic's using external remotes with the zoom controls on it but I dowt my camera will accept one.
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Is there not an IR remote that came with the camera?
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Blog Entries

Most prosumer zooms work on the LANC convention. This has 7 steps, or speed increments, for the zoom motor. It doesn't matter which remote or external zoom controller you buy, if it has the Lanc protocol there will only be 7 steps. To save money, many manufacturers will have a seven step rocker switch instead of a completely variable switch.

Often the steps are uneven, close together at the slow end, so that you can start the zoom slowly and do slow creeps but this means that the increments have to be greater at the mid and faster speeds (since there are only 7 possible increments in total).

So, if your camcorder changes speed suddenly on the rocker switch, getting another controller isn't going to help. Practice is the only way to improve, I'm afraid.

(guessing/wondering)

Might it be possible that the camera's rocker is connected to a timer in the camera; such that the speed steps up automatically?
    The LANC format seems to show there are specific command commands for the different steps. Perhaps a cam would retain the same step; and not use it's inbuilt timer to change step.

Yes Panasonics do have remotes, you don't say what camera this is for. One thing to look at is make sure your tripod head is secure and fully locked down. Like Gaffer says practise with gentle handling of the camera.

IanA- Good thinking! That would help a little, did not have one I bought it used.

Midnight Blue- My HDC-SD9

I figured maybe there would be an option to set a zoom speed somewhere, the remote I would believe is a contact switch either on or off so not sure how that would work?
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 05-21-2010 at 02:23 AM.
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper