Thread: Tripod

Default Tripod

Hey guys this is something i'm not quite sure about and i didn't even think about it till now.I am thinking of making a 35mm lens adaptor for my sony dcr and a rod support system.However i did not take into account the weight,not including a matte and a monitor possibly a light.If anyone has any ideas what reasonably priced tripod would be able to support all that,i was looking at the hama star 61 tripod.I just don't want the whole get-up collapsing on me lol.Thx guys

While the Hama star 61 tripod may be fine for a small camera or even a semi pro sized camera, it's max weight is 3 Kilos, thats like a bag and a half of sugar. I don't think if you start putting loads of add ons on it, that it's going to function very well. Not so much that it will collapse under th weight.

I'm no expert on tripods I can't confront the cost of the really good ones. So I settle with a Velbon DV-7000. It's about right for me at the moment but I was also thinking along the lines of a 35mm adaptor and a matt box but don't even know how the support rods would fit on the tripod.

Do the adaptors come with some sort of universal plate that fits on to the quick release plate that the camera now uses to fix to the tripod.

Default Rod supports

When you attach a 35mm adapter to the front of your camera you’re adding a lot more weight than the threads on the lens were designed to hold.So the rods should be a strong metal 15mm is the standard but 15mm piping isn't always that easy to get hold of i guess it depends where you are and whats available and they should be spaced apart 60mm.Yes a universal plate is attached that fits onto the quick release on the tripod as far as i am aware and what i have seen.

Do you have to get the universal plate separately or does it come with the adaptor or does that depend on which adaptor you get or do you get a plate and rod kit ? As you can tell from my questions I haven't really looked into this yet.

Sorry if I'm taking over your thread with my questions.

That confuddled me lol think i get what you're saying.to be making such a system it cannot be rushed as when you start building it, its make or break from that point unless you're extremely careful.Everything must be perfectly flat and straight, the rails MUST be spaced exactly 60mm apart for it to be stable.You will need to buy everything in seperate pieces i'm assuming you're going to build it? camera support systems(rails) are way expensive.But ones you can buy can differ from another, so depending on the main reason you're wanting a system,one should build according to their particular requirements.It is quite a technical process but not difficult, if you would prefer i can give you instructions with pictures to help you understand better? let me know as i'm finding this quite hard to put into words lol

For your 35mm adapter i would recommend using old Nikon lenses because they have full manual control over focus and aperture.If you want to use Nikon lenses with Canon EOS tubes just buy Nikon to EOS mount rig.For basic cinematography these lenses should be enough
    35mm
    50mm
    85mm
    105mm

Try to find very fast prime lenses (f/1.2 or f/1.4 max f/1.8 everything above that like f/4 or f/5.6 will produce vignetting! Zoom lenses are also not that good for DOF adapters.
    Last edited by sjr1986; 05-19-2010 at 02:23 PM.

I'm glad you said that because my wife has a Nikon camera. The problem I have is that the filter diameter on my camera is 82mm, which is huge. So I can't just use standard tubes. I think I'll need will be a lot of dosh.

As I've just bought a nice microphone, I need some saving up time, so I'm not in any hurry. I'll do some hunting on the net when the time come.

Just so we are on the same page I'm talking about a DOF adaptor like the Letus or RedRock or hopefully something cheaper.

have a look at vinten.com you can tell them what camera your using and its use to get an idea the best product for you.

If only I could afford a Vinten 3AS