Thread: how to capture video?

Question how to capture video?

I have a Windows 7 computer, in which I have just installed a Digitus DS-30203 firewire card, as I wish to capture video from my video tapes for my Sony DCR-TRV520E PAL digital8 video camera.

However, the multitude of programs I have tried all crash when I try to capture my video.

Windows Media Encoder seems to have the best of it - it rewinds the tape, fastforwards the tape, says it's encoding, and then freezes.

Other programs like Windows Live Photo Gallery, or Ulead Video Studio, don't even seem to able to detect the camera - they call it something like a generic microsoft camera - and they also freeze up when I try to start video capture.

Obviously this is not normal! But where should I start to look for a solution?

Video capture is the process of converting an analog video signal—such as that produced by a video camera or DVD player—to digital form. The resulting digital data are referred to as a digital video stream, or more often, simply video stream. This is in contrast with screencasting, in which previously digitized video is captured while displayed on a digital monitor.

Mannequin Wholesale mannequin Buy mannequin

Ok... but what can I use the digital output from my video camera then? Can't I use that as an input to my firewire card? Why is "video capture" only for analogue signals?

NonaMannequin, your post appear to contain exactly the same words as appear at:

Video capture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm... well what does one call the process of transferring digital video over a digital link (firewire/1394) to a computer?

I thought that the term "video capture" was a rather general term for this sort of process, but I see I've probably been searching incorrectly on the web for help. So what term/terms should I use for searching on the web for info about getting this digital process to work?

I suspect NonaMannequin may have misunderstood.

I suggest you check the Digitus website to see if there are updated versions of Drivers.

I regret I have no experience of the hardware you use. When some applications "crash"; the failure can sometime get logged by either Windows (Event viewer) or the application itself. Does the 'Task Manager' show any unusual activity prior to these 'crashes'.