Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A t'riffic short film

Blog Entries

Default A t'riffic short film

Guys, I've just come across this great short-film...

Amazing effects, great atmosphere, and not a light-sabre in sight. Whoever made this film is entitled to wear a smug grin for the rest of his/her life. Have a look at the "making of" as well.

Blog Entries

Them damn Frenchies - clever and talented eh?

That really is amazing, If you want to spoil the magic, here is how it was made.

Blog Entries

Simply beautiful.
    Tim

This really raises the bar on short video production to high for me. I quite.

Whilst being a masterful clip, the 'making of' clip and the associated texts may reduce anyones sense of inadequacy. I am reminded of the misery which some classical intrument players felt when they heard Walter Carlos using a Moog to play Bach.

For many of us, our use of CGI has been limited to creating text for Titles and Credits. But increasingly fast computers and efficient software now enable many PC owners to generate footage which is superior to old CGI films like 'Tron'.

This wonderful clip demonstrates skills which are already understood in these Forums. Story, color, lighting, greenscreen etc. The single obvious difference is that some of views are not made with real cameras.
    However, managing those vitual camera clearly required a team of experts.
    They claimed to have used "After Effects, Maya, Mental Ray, Blastcode, 3dsmax, [and] Vray."

The future is relatively certain. YouTube is full of lousy demonstrations of After Effects. This Forum often sees requests for plugins to get particular effects. Gamers may spend long periods immersed in interactive CGI worlds. It won't be long until we see Wedding photographers offering to enhance their videos by adding, removing or rearranging the wedding guests

Really good points Tim. One thing I've always try to do with my work is get a nice look on the camera and then don't mess with it. A more organic approach to videography. BUT it seems this viewpoint makes me a dinosaur and along with the dinosaurs I will be extinct very soon if I don't start moving into the CGI/After Effects end of the market.

This reminds me of when I did my printing apprenticeship. I did letter press printing which is a real craft/trade, if you don't know what that is look it up in the history books. I found after finishing my apprenticeship I was looking for another job because I moved to York but there were no printing jobs for letter press printers. It was all photo lithographic printing. So I had to blagg my way into a job learning a new process.

Don't get me wrong I like technology but not just for the sake of it. My fear is that the craft/trade of filming and lighting is going to be lost and kids will grow up with the view that anything can be fixed in post, which it probably will be able to.

Having said all that, there is great craft in this video. It's stunning.

Ok rant over back to the gardening.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 05-15-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    It won't be long until we see Wedding photographers offering to enhance their videos by adding, removing or rearranging the wedding guests
    Pah! My mother-in-law (late 60s) has been doctoring wedding photos to replace disliked members of the family with bushes for years already.
    And look at the sort of stuff produced by the pros here - GDR especially - they're masters of adding glow, rays and all sorts of colouratiuons and other filters to "enhance" the reality.
    Yep. I'm sure that technology is within the reach of all of us now to allow Duane and Chardonnay to be transported to St Pauls or the chapel in Windsor Castle for a wedding ... actually, I started off this idea being sarcastic with the punchline being along the lines of "I can really see them wanting to dress up and go to a green screen studio to capture it".... but actually I can. I'm sure the is a market for precisely that:

Your wedding at St Paul's Cathedral
    Your wedding in Westminster Abbey
    Your wedding at the Taj Mahal
    Your wedding under the Eiffel Tower

and probably of more appeal to the sort of people who'd like this..

Your wedding at Wembly Stadium
    Your wedding on the Moon
    Your wedding on the Death Star
    Your wedding in Narnia

The possibilities are endless! Horrific!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This really raises the bar on short video production to high for me. I quite.
    Indeed! Makes my CGI stuff look like a booger.

gob smacked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was stuff " good adverts" are made of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast