Thread: New Guy looking for guidance

Default New Guy looking for guidance

Hi. I am attempting to get into video capture and editing. I am definately a beginner in this area. The only program I have ever used in Windows Movie Maker but it doesn't allow me to capture the video from DVD files. I believe a MAC is much better for what I am trying to do but unfortunately I have a pc. I am attempting to start a small business where I can create highlight films for athletic clubs. This may not be the correct area for this post. What I am looking to find out is the most cost effective way to break into this market? I do not have loads of money to spend so I am looking for "cheap" software, freeware, etc to put on my pc that will allow me to do what I want to do. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

With all due respect, I think you should learn how to become proficient in filming and editing before you consider starting a small business. Either that or hire in people with the skills and you look after the business & marketing sides (assuming you have those skills) whilst you learn the rest.

Just bear in mind that quite apart from gaining camera skills editing videos takes a very long time. You will have to become extremely proficient and efficient in doing that if you are going to make any money out of it.

The idea that a Mac is "better" for video editing really stems from the days when design software genuinely was better on a Mac. For some reason it has always had the "creative" label. If you're starting from scratch and are familiar with a PC, I see no reason for you to move to a Mac. Your choice of video software on a PC is greater.

If you are serious about learning the trade, then one of your ports of call must be the IOV (Institute of Videographers). Look on the "professionals" sections of this site - people like Z Cheema will point you in the right direction.

Assuming I haven't put you off - which was not my intention - I wish you luck with the enterprise.

Here is a link to the IOV website.

My name and professional in the same sentence, how very dare you, sir...