Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit of help with sound

Default Bit of help with sound

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the video editing arena. Basically I fly flight simulators on my PC, record them using FRAPS and edit them with Sony Vegas Pro. I'm getting the hang of Vegas, and I know how to add effects and stuff, and I'm happy with my videos so far.

The problem that I have with a current video, is that it's filmed during a landing in the passenger cabin of an aircraft. Now because of a glitch in the simulator, the GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) that the flight crew hear in the cockpit, is clearly audible in this video. In other words, there is a voice that says "500"........ "Approaching minimums"...... "300"........ "Minimums, minimums".... "100"..... "50"...."40"... "30"... "20"..... "10". Basically saying how far you are from the ground. Now obviously this would be fine if I was recording from the cockpit, but in real life the passengers don't hear this.

I was wondering how to get rid of it. I've got engine noise in the background, is there some way that I can take a piece of engine noise (ie. just before the GPWS voice comes in) and place it OVER that voice?

Any help is much appreciated

Tom

Yes. Use a volume envelope on the main track to 'dip' the volume where the voice comes in. (Click on the track, then 'V' on your keyboard). Overlay the copied piece of audio noise, and fade it in/out to suit. You can dip the volume envelope manually, by double clicking on it to create keyframes (I think they're actually called 'node' points) to drag up/down, or by using the 'auto' function.
    To do this; insert the volume envelope as above, then on the track controls on the left click on the 'star' shape and select "show automation controls". Now just play through, and adjust the volume slider up/down. It will auto create keyframes. These can be manually adjusted afterwards if need be.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I'm struggling slightly with this. I've clicked on the audio track and pressed V, and a blue line appears. I can create dots on the blue line to drag up and down to increase or decrease volume. However I don't know how to copy a piece of track and insert it over the voice bits.

Select the audio track and copy it to a new track then select a portion of the track that has the right engine noise and hit the S key to cut the track, move along a few seconds and hit the S key again. Now delete the other bits of the audio track. This should leave you with a few seconds of just engine noise. Move this in position, copy it and paste it in the other positions until you have enough bits to fill all the audio gaps.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 05-13-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Sounds like a good idea - stupid question, how do I 'select' the portion of track to cut? When I hit the C key something called Command Properties comes up.
    Last edited by Koosey87; 05-13-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Go to the anywhere on the time line where the engine is making the right "coming into landing noise". This will probably be near the end. If you hit the solo button which looks like an exclamation mark ! ,it's at the left of the time line next to the mute button, then you will only here that track playing.

Remember to click the solo button again to cancel it.

Okay, here's what I've got so far! I've got two of the same track. What I don't know how to do is to 'cut' part of the copied one and place it over the original... so ideally what I want to do is go to the timeline just before the first bit of voice, effectively record a couple of seconds of just that, and place it over the voice that follows... I'm sure I'm either not explaining it right or just being an idiot

Hang on think I've got it

PERFECT! I used your suggestion Midnight Blue, I copied the audio track to another, then used S to cut that track up into suitable engine bits, then pasted those bits over the original. Sounds perfect

And Archie, thanks for your help too, you taught me something I didn't know

Thanks very much guys, it's not often I visit a forum and get an answer the same day, so cheers

Glad we could help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast