Thread: Why are some AMATEUR videos crystal clear while others are of bad quality?

1. Default Why are some AMATEUR videos crystal clear while others are of bad quality?

This is a question for devoutly religous right wingers who sleep with a Bible under their pillow, Internet video fans who lust after adult entertainment videos, and those who know their way around a video camera:
    I'm not a videoographer, but I hope to take it up as soon as I get some monkeys off my back. I notice that some videos on the Internet that were made by amateur videographers have great clarity, a diamond-like quality to them, or even when not in high definition you wouldn't know it because they're crystal clear. Others are bad videos, and look like they were shot with a dirty lens.
    Lets say we have two totally different videos that are hosted on the same exact web site. One is crystal clear like mountain air and the other other is so bad a quality you run to hit the back button on your web browser so you can move on to the next video. In the scenario I just gave, why is one video an eye-pleasing, user-friendly, picture-friendly winner and the other a loser?

Why did the bad video turn out bad?

Remember this question pertains to videographers who are amateurs (regular people like you and me) using the latest video camera out on the market as opposed to pros who work for movie studios. The first two amateur vids below represent good quality while the third and fourth ones represent bad quality.

EXAMPLE OF GOOD CLARITY:

YouTube - AcuteAnalogy's Channel

EXAMPLE OF BAD CLARITY:

Last edited by UVRay; 05-13-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Cameras built into phones tend to give inferior results to the "latest video camera out on the market". Almost every technical aspect of a Phone Camera is likely inferior.

And. Many of these crap movies have moved from Phone to YouTube without any editing or adjustments.

To get the worst effects in that art form - I would recommend minimal adherence to any known videographic rules.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Cameras built into phones tend to give inferior results to the "latest video camera out on the market". Almost every technical aspect of a Phone Camera is likely inferior. And. Many of these crap movies have moved from Phone to YouTube without any editing or adjustments.
    To get the worst effects in that art form - I would recommend minimal adherence to any known videographic rules.
    Well....you're assuming that all or most of the bad videos on the Internet were made using a cell phone. I don't think that's a good assumption, or is it? Maybe it is. But I think a person should consider that many (but not all) adult oriented videos of dull, bad quality were probrably shot using something other than a cell phone camera, which is an assumption on my part, but one that I feel safe in making even though we're talking amateur videos.

When Tim said "I would recommend minimal adherence to any known videographic rules" that is the whole story there are many aspects to creating a video. lighting, camera quality and use, shaky camera movement, not focusing properly, relying on auto focus that can't cope, editing, rendering the video. AND MANY MORE....................

5. Default

A lot of videos on the web are downloaded...converted ( badly ) and re-uploaded losing tremendous quality... They move from site to site with degradation along the way...

You are assuming that "Amateur" is a reference point of their knowledge and the craft of videography.
    That is not a good place to start as some Amateurs can be much better then the pro's

There is also the two parts to the video craft, one is the artistic value in the shoot and edit, the other is understanding the technical sides of the art, lighting, sound, rendering etc. Most questions on this forum always start on the video (picture) and end on it, very little if at all does anyone as about the sound quality or capture of sound to enhance the images in production.

Rule of thumb is rubbish in rubbish out., keep the quality high all through the chain and then render to a lower YouTube quality. Having said that I use Vimeo as they seem to do a better conversation the YouTube with videos and so look better.