Thread: Another render question

Default Another render question

Sorry, how many render questions do you get a day hehhehe, mines a tad different though. I am trying render/cut 200 mb movies back to 100 mb as where I use them, that is the upload limit. I have used sony vegas for a couple years with some success for mucking around on youtube ect, no problem as the youtube clip is only short so the file size didnt bother me to a degree. I switched to adobe premier pro cs3, which Ive had for ages but never used, and found its ability to render high quality clips in an excellent fashion using mostly guess work was unbeatable. How ever, as you's will be able to enlighten me more, adobe dont like .avi files. Everyone I have done has been a .wmv thus far, no issue. On googling Ive read adobe is known for its .avi issue. On the assumption no can tell me what I can do to fix adobe, can someone answer me 2 simple questions

1 - can vegas be set up to render as small and as good as adobe, or cant it just do it no matter what.

2 - what other software could I use that will have the same desired effect, Ive tried a few but the quality compared to adobe is not there.

thank you

Vegas Pro does have many custom rendering options. The only way to reduce the file size in the same format is to make the picture size smaller and/or lower the bit rate. you can lower the bit rate on the sound as well which will help a bit. Some codecs perform better than others and generally you get what you pay for in life and codecs.

I don't know from what, to what, you want to render your video. If you are using an uncompressed .avi and rendering a compressed mpeg2 from it this will reduce the size of the file without reducing the picture size. When ever you are trying to reduce the file size you are always looking at a reduction in quality but if done skillfully it may only be a small reduction in image quality.

I don't know if I've hit the target with my answer.

Appreciate the answer Midnight Blue but Im done with adobe and vegas. No matter what I did stupid adobe crashed, google results show me and 3 million other people with the same problem, Ive wasted 3 days on it, I dunno how you lot put up with it, for the price tag it should make me toast on demand, much less crash all the time. Im no pc dummy and the pc is high end, so its not that. Vegas is good for toy stuff but its render options are not much better than movie maker. Im going to try coral products or something. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jigalo View Post
    Vegas is good for toy stuff but its render options are not much better than movie maker.
    If you think that, you haven't used the custom button when rendering.

Good luck with Coral anyway.

I would recommend Edius. It's very stable, and if you don't think the rendering codecs are any good you will never be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by jigalo View Post
    On googling Ive read adobe is known for its .avi issue. On the assumption no can tell me what I can do to fix adobe, can someone answer me 2 simple questions
    I recommend reporting Premiere errors to Adobe. I simply send them emails with my reports and my registration key. I always get my queries answered; but not always a fix.

If neither Premiere or Vegas accept the AVI file; then I recommend examining the file with GSPOT to identify which codecs are used. It may be there is a cheap converter to produce acceptable AVI file (perhaps in uncompressd format); which would then allow the AVI to be loaded into Premiere.

Whilst "googling" may help; I often find it easier to use Adobe's own online help system.