Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IOV Video Skills Exam

Lightbulb IOV Video Skills Exam

I recently became a member of the IOV (Institute of Videography).

I was wondering who else is a member and if you have done the Associate Exam. If so how hard or easy was it. Was it worth doing, has it helped get business etc....?

How easy / hard it is depends on how much you already know and how much you have to learn. Even if you've been a videographer for a long time there may still be things you don't know, including things like health & safety and other business related matters. There are some H&S questions that you need to get right or you fail, regardless of how well you do on the other stuff.

Hi Dave, the first part of the exam that I did is the Business/H&S part because I have some experience being in business for some years. I did get one question wrong the first time I did it but passed on the second attempt. I thought I'd better not do any more tonight as I had finished my second glass of red wine.

I made the original post just before doing the test so I was just wondering what to expect as I've done these sorts of things before where the questions can be so ambiguous that there could be a number of different answers to each question.

Have you found that having the IOV accreditation has helped your business ?
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 05-13-2010 at 09:51 AM.

The book as all the answers, I know my name is in there at the front....

The logo is helpful, makes you feel confident have reached a bar in your work.
    As for people asking if I have it, well...... I do mention in my spiel and the benefits to them, eg qualified, code of conduct and the arbitration Just in case.

I was a MM of the IOV and yes, coming up to standard will certainly improve your game. Recognising what can be blindingly obvious as amateur techniques in your own work is hard, but worthwhile.
    The forums are helpful, the networking useful and the little badge, once qualified, can be displayed with pride.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

To be honest I'm only doing it to see if I know as much about the subject as I like to think I do. It will be nice to be able to use the logo on my site as well, It may give me some credibility and I certainly need some of that.

Changing the subject, what price should I expect to be paying for public liability and professional indemnity insurance. Should it be cheaper if I'm not doing weddings ?

If you are a member of the IOV then do a search on there for insurances has it has been discussed many times

The Cost will not be that different for PL & IND for weddings, it is fairly cheap and a requirement of the IOV. I have both and insurance for the equipment

The other thing to look out for is if you work from home then your house insurance may also need to be looked at.

I use Imaging Insurance.co.uk they do house insurance as well. 01277 243038

Cheers Z.

I passed the camera craft section of the exam last night and I aim to do the lighting one tonight.

Good luck, remember our T-Shirt motto...

"Cameramen do it with the lights on."

Rights right gaffer , as I say you can't see a thing in the dark

Well done MB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast