Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premiere or After effect?

Default Premiere or After effect?

Hi,
    I want to learn one of this softwares, but I don't understand what is the difference.

I'm interested to add on my videos filters and some effects.
    What program should I choose?

here is what I mean by filters and effects
    Example:

Video with filters(?)

Video with special effects

To do this I need to have Premiere or After Effect?

the problem isn't the difficulty to use the program, but if you show me some alternative software I'll be happy.

Sorry for my bad english, however thank you so much!

If all you want to do is add special effects and filters and colour grading etc... then After Effects is what you want, It's great.

If you want to cut a film and do the physical creation of sequences, then you'll need Premiere.

Ideally, it's best to have knowledge of both

I agree, there is certainly an overlap but Premier is for video editting, After Effects is motion graphics and special effects.

thank you very much!
    I'm downloading after effect... I hope not too difficult to learn

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    After Effects is one of the most complicated products I've ever bought - in fact, it's the ONLY product where I have bought a 'How to' manual.

The basics are very simple. You import a file into your composition. You then apply effects to it. Almost everything can be automated. It is based around layers, so you can have an image, overlaid with text, overlaid with effects on text, and so on.

So if you want an image to suddenly appear as sand in the desert is blown away, revealing it as if it's been buried, or you want to take an image, wrap it around a lemon, make it hurtle into the sky and then expode in a million pieces with each little bit of debris a small version of the original, then After Effects will do it - BUT - it's not quick, not easy to remember and as each thing you do is different, you constantly have to develop new clever ways of using the features. Every time I do a title, I get better, but I keep finding new ways of doing things, and my work is getting better and better each time I learn something new. However, spending 2 days on a 10 second clip is hardly cost effective!

You also start to collect plug-ins, which gradually mount up and get to the stage when you really have to write down ones you discover are excellent by accident.

AE is an amazing tool, but complex. There are, however, lots of tutorials on the net which are really worth working through to give you ideas.
    thank you for your response.

In fact I have installed it and I have already problems...

I can't import MP4 format recorded with my phone camera (5Mb) why?

Thank you again for the advice

The short answer is the simple fact that mp4 is a delivery format and not an editable format.

Premiere's for simple basic cutting. After Effects is where all the magic happens. However you would have to start with Preimere and then move onto to AE in my opinion.

Asua

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by benesotor View Post
    If all you want to do is add special effects and filters and colour grading etc... then After Effects is what you want, It's great.

If you want to cut a film and do the physical creation of sequences, then you'll need Premiere.

Ideally, it's best to have knowledge of both
    Thanks... I downloaded it... but bit difficult to learn. Anyway I will try.

9. Default

Somtimes some codecs doesnt work on Premiere too. In this case i change the extention of the file i mean if it is *.mpg i change it to *.avi . maybe this can help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast