Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVCHD and Final Cut Express 4

Default AVCHD and Final Cut Express 4

I have a Canon HG10 video camera and Final Cut Express 4 on my MacBook Pro. The FCE4 manual cheerfully says that the new Log and Transfer window automatically recognises AVCHD files when you connect your camcorder to your Mac. This didn't happen with me - the Log and Transfer window stayed greyed-out. I also tried importing the AVCHD files into iMovie but it doesn't recognise them either.
    Any clues would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Make sure that you've got the latest updates. Log into Apple.com and, providing you've registered your software, you should be able to download the updates (it should do it automatically) and away you go...

Default AVCHD and Final Cut Express 4

My computer says it doesn't need to update any of the software. I've gone into "Easy Setup" in FCE and there are a range of possibilities: I've tried HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50 and different versions of AVCHD-Apple Intermediate Codec but the Log and Transfer still doesn't do anything (it's supposed to automativally recognise the AVCHD files in the Canon HG10).

Blog Entries

You don't need any external software to edit AVCHD on the current legal versions of FCE or FCP.

Sometimes (as in all things computer-wise) it can be a bit quirky. My Macbook will only Log and Transfer if the camcorder is connected and switched on before starting Final Cut, for example. For some of the more obscure consumer codecs (AVCHD lite, for example) you may have to import the footage through imovie, if you have FCE, since "Express" doesn't have all the codecs of "Pro".

Hi mate, I too had terrible trouble getting my Mac to recognise AVCHD files, or .MTS as they appear.

I downloaded a few file converters, and I found the best to be ClipWrap. It enables you to convert the files from .MTS to several different file types and the quality seems good enough to me.

That said, because I have had to do it this way from the day I first got my camera, I have no point of reference n the quality that may or may not be lost.

Good luck!

Blog Entries

Mike, check the updates for your software.

Early this year the codecs for Final Cut Express and imovie were updated so that they can edit AVCHD footage in 1080 x 1920 directly using the Log and Transfer function from the camcorder. It still has difficulty with some MTS files unless they're transferred from the camcorder.

Default Mac AVCHD converter poor choice

I attempted to import AVCHD video to Final Cut Express 4 from a Panasonic Lumix FZ35. Four clips transferred and FCE froze. I purchased Mac AVCHD Converter and transferred files easily. However, quality was so poor as to be useless. Might have been ok on an iphone, but that would be all. After hours on the internet, found someone who was doing an import of AVCHD with iMovie and then editing with FCE. Did this and quality much better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy8765 View Post
    Now,these NLE softwares like Adobe Premiere,SonyVegas,FCE,FCP ect have announced that it works with many tapeless camcorders that record to flash memory, HDD, or DVD media, including camcorders using MPEG-2 (standard definition) and AVCHD (high definition) formats. However, I remind you that due to the wide range of media types, and the different ways manufacturers store video on these media types, not all camcorders are compatible with these NLEs.

I have a JVC Everio HD300 (AVCHD) camcorder,i am annoyed with the MTS/TOD files, for they counldn't be edit on Adobe Premiere but now i found out a fastest and easiest way to solve it-just use a professional HD Video converter which can convert MTS/TOD/MOD to wmv, mov, mp4, avi, etc. without any problem.The software seems to do a decent job. I've had good results converting the .mts files to .mov, with the settings h.264, 1200, 1280*720, 25fps, aac. The files look good on my Mac running Adobe Premiere, edit easily, and convert well to DVD format.So i suggest u try it.
    Pavtube HD video converter for mac - HD Converter for Mac convert HD video

Blog Entries

Correct.

That's because the Lumix doesn't use a standard AVCHD but a version which they call AVCHD 'lite'. The best way to get it onto a Mac is simply with imovie.

Default Thanks for reminder

Since my experience is with consumer level video, I got used to thinking of AVCHD as the high definition format on my cameras. I didn't automatically differentiate between "AVCHD" and "AVCHD lite." I knew I had the "lite" version but didn't apply it to my reading. Your reminder will be very helpful.

Default video of Kendra Wilkinson

i just saw the full DVD video of Kendra Wilkinson Exposed FREE at
    http://WatchKendraExposed.com
    It was the hottest video ever."
    You love to see this video & enjoy seeing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast