Thread: newbies

Default newbies

Just a thought after looking around the site and noticing the amount of first timers who ask a question, leave no thanks and are never heard of again.

I have no trouble helping people, but get annoyed when some with attitudes come on her expecting an answer, force and and then bugger off.

May I make a recommendation to the board (or committee), I have seen this in other forums. Technology willing

"No new member can post unless they have contributed at least 5 or 10 replies on the forum"

This would mean people would have to make a contribution before running of wiht the sweets with no return

This might also stop spamming, and may hinder people who who offer work

what do you think?

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Whilst this has clear benefits, I foresee a couple of problems:

Even "good" contributors often spring from them posting a question first. Imagine the scenario, you're in a bit of a fix and you post your question to a number of forums you've Googled. DD comes up with a good answer and, if you're the sort of person who just wanted an answer you bugger off. If, on the other hand, you are the sort of person who wants to share learning, you'll hang around. If you hadn't been able to post the question in the first place, you might never have returned.

The other problem is that thefirst timer might simply hijack another thread and post his question. Generally the Q&A's here keep pretty much on topic, but this could lead to madness.

At the end of the day if "X" posts a question and gets a reply then buggers off, at least the quesion is asked and answered so that others can find it in the future.

As for spamming, inappropriate posts etc, I do get annoyed and I'm becoming much more of a Grumpy Old Man in the way I'm dealing with them. Not really a trait of which I'm proud as some of this inevitably overflows into my replies to people who may have committed a very minor misdemeanour.