Thread: Interlacing, Combing and Premiere Pro

Default Interlacing, Combing and Premiere Pro

Hi,

I know that the question regarding interlacing and combing problems have been raised many times in this and many other forums on internet. Unfortunately I have still to see a proper and thourough explanation as to how the interlacing issue should be handled and why.

Is the reason for the problems many are struggeling with (including myself), due to the confusion regarding the difference between PAL DV (interlaced "lower field first") and PAL TV (interlaced "upper field first")?

What I want to do is to import my PAL DV footage to Premiere Pro 1.5(direct - no capture card), edit the film and export as PAL MPEG-2 (using the CCE plugin for Premiere). I would then like to put the finished product, via the DVD authoring program Premiere Encore 1.5, on a standard DVD (interlaced for PAL tv systems). This I believe is a pretty standard use of PAL DV footage in the UK.

Questions:

1) My camcorder is a standard PAL DV and the source footage is therefore interlaced with "lower field first" (this is the standard for both PAL DV & NTSC DV from what I understand). Is it correct then, to assume that the Premiere project must be set up to interpret all footage with "lower field first" (e.g. as defined during import)? I take it that Premiere will not "know" automatically that the raw footage is "lower field first" and therefore reverse the field order automatically if Premiere is set up to interpret footage as "upper field first".

2) Since I want to put the project on a DVD which is compatible with standard PAL TV which is interlaced with "upper field first" per definition(as opposed to NTSC TV which has got "lower field first"), should I then export it with "upper field first"? I.e. will Premiere automatically reverse the field order (knowing that the raw footage is "lower field first" because it was defined for the project) or should I reverse the field order myself before I export it as "upper field first"? Or maybe both solutions will give the same result?

3) I read somewhere that if one is working with source material from a single capture card (or camcorder) in Premiere, the field order does not normally matter even if they have the wrong field order as they will playback correctly as nothing is being changed in the file(s). Is this correct? If so, does it mean that the whole issue of interlacing & combing can be avoided simply by making sure that the project field order and the export field order is both set to be the same (or alternatively both must be "lower field first" ?)?

[I take it that deinterlacing is not a good solution for removing combing as this should not be necessary & will affect the quality?]

Thanks

Blog Entries

Do NOT reverse the field dominence in either import or export. Your video will end up looking jerky. If you want to watch video on a PC monitor, deinterlace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Do NOT reverse the field dominence in either import or export. Your video will end up looking jerky. If you want to watch video on a PC monitor, deinterlace.

Marc, thanks for the reply.

Just to make this completely clear to me:

* I understand from your reply that I should not reverse field dominance on import. I take this to mean the "lower field first" in my case (importing directly from a PAL DV camcorder - no capture card) which also seems to be the default setting when importing into Premiere. Have I understood this correctly?

* With regard to export, do you mean that I should make sure that it is also exported with "lower field first" even though the PAL TV standard is "upper field first" ?

Again thanks for the reply, it is highly appreciated

Blog Entries

What do you mean by "no capture card". I assume you are capturing via a firewire port? Don't worry about field dominance - by default it should be set as lower field first anyway (DV is lower field).

The field dominance refers to the order the interleaved video is played. If you change this, then your video will look wierd. I can't comment on whether the "PAL tv standard is upper field first", but this is irrelevant... it will play fine on a TV.

Deinterlacing is the ONLY way to play back footage on a progressive scan monitor - otherwise you'll see both fields at once.