Thread: Vegas Project Files & Reboot

Default Vegas Project Files & Reboot

I am a little worried. I have a lot of vegas projects saved that I keep in one big folder on C:/. My computer has been really slow lately and im wanting to do a reboot of windows. I have two harddrives in my computer D:/ for all my footage and C:/ for windows an all the programs including Sony Vegas 7.0.
    I was wondering if I got the folder of all the projects and dragged them over into D:/ and just rebooted C:/. When I reinstall everything and reinstall Vegas and drag the project file back onto C:/. Should I be able to locate all my footage files etc ok ?
    I have a lot of work in this saved projects and am very worried of losing it all. Hopefully it should be all fine I keep all the project files backed up so when I reinstall windows and vegas they should all just locate yes ? Would love it all to work out. Thanks, Laurie.

Blog Entries

So long as you copy your projects back to folders with exactly the same names here should be no problem.
    In fact, if ALL the media is on your D drive, it shouldn't matter where your project files are stored. Try it - create a folder on D: called "projects" and copy a few there, then open them.
    Tim

All my projects are in D:/ now an I tried opening then and it worked fine. But Vegas is installed on C:/. I suppose it doesnt matter as long as when I reinstall vegas on my empty C:/ an dont touch the project files in D:/ then it should be fine yeah ? Thanks so much Tim.

Blog Entries

In that case the only "gotchas" are any presets you've stored (ie if you've saved any presets within effects such as a particular font/style for generated text media, or particular colour grading etc). This infor is stored (I believe) in the registry and so cannot be easily transferred.

If you only have a few of these I'd simply make a note and re-create them.

If you have a lot, you need to investigate Sony Preset Manager (a free download). I've a feeling this will only save FX Chains though so first you need to make each of your presets into an FX chain. I've never bothered, but for someone like Grazie, who makes lots of use of presets/FX chains, this is invaluable.

Sorry I can only point you in the direction of this. I'd risk misleading you if I went any further.

However, if you don't need to save presets, if all you media (and I do mean ALL) and all your projects are on D: you should be fine.
    Tim

Did the reboot, everythings all good. Thanks so much for your help. Another thing also, the files that get created in the folder of my footage when I am making a vid the .avi.sfk files. I know not to delete them, but if I move them to another folder nothing should happen yes ? An if it did I should be able to just locate them ?
    Its just that they are in the way when I am scrolling my footage an would be good if I could just scroll the .avi actualy footage files. Thanks again

Blog Entries

Your sfk files should be located in the same folder as your source media. When you point Vegas at the correct source the sfks will aotomatically be found.
    Tim

Cool. I will make a folder within my footage folder called soemthing like "sfk files" an drag them all in. Thanks Tim, you've always been a big help, appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_hammy View Post
    Cool. I will make a folder within my footage folder called soemthing like "sfk files" an drag them all in. Thanks Tim, you've always been a big help, appreciate it.
    Just to ensure there's no misunderstanding, if you have a folder now called say:

d:\Captures\2010 May\

which contains a selection of capture files and their sfk files, for example:
    capture001.avi
    capture002.avi
    capture003.avi
    capture001.sfk
    capture002.sfk
    capture003.sfk

you should move them all such that the sfk files are in the same folder as the corresponding avis

eg

g:\captures\2010\May\circus might contain
    capture001.avi
    capture002.avi
    capture001.sfk
    capture002.sfk

and g:\captures\2010\May\family might contain
    capture003.avi
    capture003.sfk

I hope that's clearer.
    Tim