Thread: Crop and Resize

Default Crop and Resize

I'm having a problem and I've searched high and wide for the answer and I can't seem to find it. I've tried searching this forum but the words "crop" and "resize" yield an enormous amount of posts. I've read a bunch of them but they just aren't solving my problem.

I'm using Vegas Pro 9 64-Bit. I have a video that is sized 1440 x 1080. I'm cropping out a portion of the video using Pan and Crop.

The problem is the rendered cropped portion of the video is zoomed out to fill the original video size of 1440 x 1080 so it looks pixelated and crappy. I don't need the rendered clip to be 1440 x 1080, hence the 'resizing' problem.

In my search I've seen similar problems and the response has been to 'resize' with Pan and Crop. OK. How then do I resize the cropped portion and change the dimensions from the original 1440 x 1080 to whatever the actual cropped number of pixels is?

Thank you for your patience with me and I apologize if this is a stupid question and the answer was right in front of me.

Blog Entries

Hi loader. If I understand what you're trying to do correctly....

In your Pan and Crop dialog, down the left hand side, under "Source", change the value in "Stretch to fill frame" from "Yes" to "No"
    Tim

Thank you for your reply.

I tried it and the result is a 1440 x 1080 frame with the cropped section showing and the rest of the frame is black.

It still rendered it 1440 x 1080 and it filled the cropped out portion with black.

Blog Entries

That's what I thought you were after (actually the "black" isn't - it's transparent - this is a technique you would use for "picture in picture" among other things)

It appears what you were really asking is how to render a smaller video (eg 640x480) am I right?

This is nothing to do with cropping, though you may wish to crop your footage to fit it.

You set this in your render settings - File | Render As and there are loads of presets - plus you can create your custom ones.

If you explain exactly what you are trying to create we can help further.
    Tim

That was it! Thanks for the help.