Thread: NV-GS120 water housing?

Default NV-GS120 water housing?

no idea if this is the right place to post it, i had no idea really.

anyway, im looking for a water housing for my camera, i've looked around and found one, but i was wondering if anyone here knew of others.

i'll be using it in varied locations, rock reef, coral reef, beach etc. and it could get bumped so it needs to be a bit tough.

Cheers for any help
    P4 3gig
    512 DDR
    Prem Pro 7
    Pioneer DVD Burner
    NV-GS120 3 chip
    What else? Ask

I'm looking into buying an NV GS-120, for water footage, You could try this site: http://www.photosupportsystems.com

I e-mailed them and they said that they could make up a housing for an NV-GS 120 but I might have to send it away to get it fitted, It was pretty expensive too,

Also, I've asked the same question at the No Friends Video Forum, this is the thread: This is the link

The guy who replied said he got a housing from Dave Kelly in Aus for about AU$1430.

At the moment I'm planning to use a home-made one that my friend and I knocked up out of some drainage pipe and a bit of glass, I've used a bigger version of the same design successfully with my chunky Digital8 camera. I can give you some more details on construction if you want to have a go at making one.

I'd be interested if you found out any more information on the subject so be sure to post back if you get it sorted out.

Good luck

PS: nice invert.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Yeah, i've heard of Dave, i have his contact details. Its hard though, as a lot of people have problems with his housings and a lot dont, for some reason it seems to be a bit of russian roulette with it. But i dont know if its the housing or the simple fact that some people are absolute idiots and dont look after it properly. Ive also heard his warranty scheme is a bit dodgy, but again, its different for whoever you talk to. (the joys of the internet)

I found this, http://store.aikotradingstore.com/pavw3.html, which looks pretty good, plus it means you dont have to send your camera away to get it fitted.

Downside? the fact it doesnt have any handles, and from the picture (who invented that angle?) you cant tell what controls you get access to (zoom, video/still switch, record etc).

But all in all it looks alright, and at $449 (240ish pound, $570ish Australian) its a pretty tidy price. Just remember it is in America though, so postage could be a killer (a lot less than from central coast australia).

Dielman
    P4 3gig
    512 DDR
    Prem Pro 7
    Pioneer DVD Burner
    NV-GS120 3 chip
    What else? Ask

cool, thanks for passing that on, although I'd be worried about taking it out in any heavy stuff, a 10 metre depth rating isn't too good.

The advantages of having one designed for surf-filming are pretty big, handles, decent controls and a more robust design.

I'll make do with a home-made one for now, maybe invest in a decent housing if I decide to take it more seriously and I happen to be in Australia or Cali'.

I only really want to try a helmet-cam and some other ideas like that so I don't need controls really, just a compact shell. Otherwise I might well go for a Dave Kelly, I guess you're more likely to hear about the problems people have had on the internet, so there's probably a load of happy customers out there somewhere, and they are made specifically for Surf-stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bgarthp
    cool, thanks for passing that on, although I'd be worried about taking it out in any heavy stuff, a 10 metre depth rating isn't too good.
    Thats a good point, although i guess it comes down to how well you can handle the situations and how much of a beating you take. i dont know surf spot over here that i'd film from in the water thats over ten metres deep, and i sure as hell wouldnt be letting a lip land on my baby, regardless of the situation. Being a student i cant afford much myself, and loss of this camera would be devastating.

i guess i'll just have to call dave and complain to him about the price and yab on about being a student. might work :P hahaha
    P4 3gig
    512 DDR
    Prem Pro 7
    Pioneer DVD Burner
    NV-GS120 3 chip
    What else? Ask

Yeah, It's not the depth that worries me but the impact of a lip, I've had a stills camera with a 5m rating break when a waist-high lip caught me off-guard at a reef (Trying for a Tim Jones-esque "inch from the rider" angle).

So I guess I'm being a bit cautious, I can't afford the loss of a camera either.

Good luck with Dave.