Thread: Premiere CS5 and HD video

Default Premiere CS5 and HD video

I am new to this and need a answer to a basic question.

I downloaded the trial of Premiere CS5 and my Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 produces HD mov files which are just superb viewed raw on the PC using Quicktime.

I am using a short clip which is 1 minute 46 sec long
    The size of the file is 593 Mb and is 1920 X 1088

My problem is that when I put it on the timeline and export it using the BluRay setting, the end result is a very poor 1920 X 1088.

Not nearly as good as the original.

Can anyone guide me through this ?

Thanks in advance

There are various things that can effect video quality other than overall resolution.

The most important thing you need to get right is the bitrate, basically the amount of data the video will use per unit of time, eg. 5 megabytes per second.
    There are going to be various ways to control the bitrate, whether its variable, contrained... you can control a target bitrate, a maximum or minimum.

My advice would be render to H.264, use an MP4 multiplexer and 2-pass VBR encoding.
    If you want nice quality compared to the original, but keep a handy file size.. keep the target bitrate (Mbps) at say 6-8mbps for a 1080p render.

This should give you a useable MP4 file, and from my experience, the quality should hardly degrade from the original .mov file off the camera.

Have a play, it takes a bit of trial and error... but CS5's encoding system is actually pretty darn good now, so you should find the right settings quite easily, I'm just giving something to try.

Good Luck!

Many thanks for this
    I will do as you suggert and have a "play"

Since I originally posted , I had stumbled across a Canon preset in CS5 and chose the "match sequence settings". The result was a very reasonably mpg.

With a camera like my Canon EOS 5D Mark 2, I would most certainly be looking for the best quality as I will be burning the end result to BluRay.

Quote Originally Posted by pict99 View Post
    Many thanks for this
    I will do as you suggert and have a "play"

Since I originally posted , I had stumbled across a Canon preset in CS5 and chose the "match sequence settings". The result was a very reasonably mpg.

With a camera like my Canon EOS 5D Mark 2, I would most certainly be looking for the best quality as I will be burning the end result to BluRay.
    Yeah, well.. there are many options for you to get great quality. I even got great results with WMV in CS4 because the MP4 encoding was lousy, now with CS5 I can render MP4 happily.

I use a Canon 7D so I'm in the same boat as you, but as I'm discovering it's totally possible to get awesome picture quality at low file sizes with the cano HDSLR's.
    Your lucky you're starting now, I started in the CS4 era where you HAD to transcode footage to edit it, which resulted in me buying a $130 codec which A. Didn't work very well with CS4, and B. Doesn't work AT ALL with CS5, not that I even need to transcode anymore.

Anyway rant/