0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • bah

0 0%

Thread: Audio offset?

Post Audio offset?

Hey everyone

I'm using Vegas Pro 9.0 and I'm not that experienced in editing so I was just curious about this. You know, if you've filmed a lot of clips e.g. during your holiday with a lot of different sound levels, do you just clip them all together or do you use some kind of offset at the end of each audio clip to soften the change in sound? I've noticed that if you move your clips directly to the timeline, Vegas creates a little offset at the end of the clips sound track. But only if you move them directly.

Peace
    GG
    Last edited by Gladstone Gander; 05-06-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Very easy to adjust each clip to suite. If you drag from the top of the clip downwards, you'll see a blue line which adjusts the audio level. Or you can add a volume envelope, which is more like a rubber band over the whole track. Double click on it to create a control point,now just drag it up or down - you'll see how it works. This can be automated too - so that you play through the track and adjust the level with the track volume control as you go. BRILLIANT!

OR you can try this free down load: The Levelator - Download
    Create an audio file 'as is' then feed it into the levelator. Then just replace the audio on the timeline with the new leveled audio clip.

You can also highlight (Range) a part of the audio and drag the volume band down (V) to get rid of loud parts

If you hold the shift key and draw your wave form on the audio to adjust levels, it saves all the double clicking.

Thank you very much for your answers. Now I know some good ways to edit the audio. It's a part of the video editing I didn't know much about.

But there is still one thing I don't understand. Why does Vegas add a tiny milliseconds long offset at the end of an audio clip (in a video clip) if I cut the clip directly in the timeline? If I cut it using the trimmer, it adds no offset at the end! Here you can see what I mean:

The offset only appears if the clip was cut directly on the timeline.

Do you know what it is?

That is not an offset, an offset is when things are not in kilt. If for example the audio/video were out of sync with each other

What you have there is a fade, a quick fade to be precise. This is an option that can be turned on/off under OPTIONS then 9 items down "Quickfade Audio Edits"

The duration of the quick fade can be set in the OPTIONS,, Preferences, Editing, "Quick fade length for audio (ms)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone Gander View Post
    Why does Vegas add a tiny milliseconds long offset at the end of an audio clip (in a video clip) if I cut the clip directly in the timeline?
    Because neither Archie nor ZCheema mentioned that each audio event also has a fade at the start and the end. That arc represents a fade.

If you hover over the "start" of the arc (the cursor becomes a segment shape) you can drag the beginning of the fade so that the fade is longer or shorter.
    What's more you can right click on the arc and change the "shape" of the fade (ie make it linear, start fast then slow down, start slow then speed up etc etc)
    By default Vegas adds a very short fade at the beginning and end of every audio event because a straight cut always sounds REALLY harsh. But you can drag the "arc" and so make it a straight cut if you want.

If you overlap audio events, Vegas will (by default) crossfade, which is a nother way of dealing with harsh changes from one clip to another.

Back to your original question: If I put something on the timeline and then "Add Media from Cursor" ("A"), then I get the short fade. If drag media directly from the Project Explorer, then I don't get it.

Basically this boils down to whether or not you make a "time selection" - anything selected in the trimmer is considered a "time selection".

Vegas will add a fade for the length specified in "Options | Preferences | (Editing tab) | Time Selection Envelope fades" whenever you add a "time selection" to te timeline or "Split" an event already on the timeline.

See how flexible and customisable this is
    Tim

Wow thanks okay lol I called it offset. Maybe that's because I'm Danish. So I guess that this tiny fade is always good. Does this mean that you should normally edit the video clips in the timeline instead of the trimmer next to the project files window? I mean, if I edit them in them in the trimmer and then add them from there I have to do all these small fades manually?
    Last edited by Gladstone Gander; 05-07-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    If you hold the shift key and draw your wave form on the audio to adjust levels, it saves all the double clicking.
    Blimey Mr Cheema, that's a real nugget! Never knew that one. Can't wait to play with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone Gander View Post
    I mean, if I edit them in them in the trimmer and then add them from there I have to do all these small fades manually?
    So long as you actually trim the event in the trimmer (ie make a selection) "Add from cursor" icon or "A" key will put fades in.
    Tim