Thread: Ski Edit: Made with GoPro HD

Default Ski Edit: Made with GoPro HD

Hey guys , new here but really want to learn more about serious video editing.

I don't know if this is the type of things you guys would like but I'd like to show you and see what you think.

I'd appreciate any criticism:

[ame=]YouTube - Jack David Rapley: Season 2010, Avoriaz Promo[/ame]

I used FCP and would love to have any tips you may have,

2. Default

Overall i liked it, altho i don't get why you need to use a fisheye on a freaking mountain hahaha, like there's not enough room, and also i'd get rid of these zooms at start, would've been looking much nicer without them.

Thanks for the critiques guys.

I've slowed some clips down but only to at 70%, the setting i'd had it on is only 30fps, so it gets kinda jumpy. There is a 60fps setting but it limits the wide angle lens to 120 rather than 170 degrees.

Exposure can be a problem especially up in the mountains, if its very sunny it takes awhile for it to sort itself out.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    the bits I personally don't like are the jump cuts between very similar shots, they break up the continuity (for me).
    Oddly - I disagree
    Deliberate jump cuts, cut to the music in "action" videos such as here have the effect of reminding us we are watching a film (ie we are taken "out" of the action back into the real world) as well as emphasizing the music.

When one is telling a story, especially with drama, this is undesirable. However, in this instance, bringing us back to reality helps contrast real life with the "stunts" being performed - ie it emphasises the skill of the people in the film.

I'm not suggesting there's a right and wrong, just the reason why I think it's appropriate in some cases.

I should also add that I don't particularly like this sort of film, but th9is one kept my interest so it's certainly got something going for it.