Thread: Premiere Pro CS5 Works!

Default Premiere Pro CS5 Works!

I'll start from the start....the mov. files from my Canon 7D were impossible to edit natively, on ANY editor. So I spend 100 on Neoscene by Cineform to fix the issue. Neoscene works nicely with Vegas, then I move to Premiere for reasons, and premiere hates cineform!
    Anyway it was kind of editable, never was a smooth or pleasant experience.

Anyway I was waiting for CS5 to come out, hoping they'd make premiere work with neoscene a bit better. So I got the trial today, whacked a few cineform avi. files into a sequence, and it was jagged as hell. Worse than CS4. THATS IT! I'M BUYING FINAL CUT is what I first thought.

Anyway I thought just before closing premiere, I'll see what happens with the native mov. footage. I was expecting premiere to fall on it's knees or something.

Low and behold, it plays the native footage completely smooth! To be honest I was pretty darn suprised, I'm not sure if its some tweaks they've been doing. Or whether this new playback engine even works on my system, or whether it's the ability to reduce the playback resolution a bit, but somehow adobe have worked wonders with SOMETHING. It's quite an feat to play those heft h.264 files back nice and smooth, even with effects and cross dissolves its fine.

One annoying thing though.... one quite annoying thing. I bought Cineform, for it to hardly work on CS4, and work even worse on CS5. Total waste of money.

So people, I think the days of wrapping files like that is coming to an end... and neoscene with adobe certainly is now a useless combination!

Have fun with CS5 guys!

Blog Entries

Good news! I had a play with Edius 5 today (in my frustration at not being able to use CS4 with AVCHD on my laptop). Lo and behold it can edit AVCHD fine...

I've never used edius to be honest, I'll check it out.

But I'll be honest with you, I've always thought Premiere was pretty cluncky, but It had the potential. Just some streamlining was desperatley needed.
    CS5 isn't quite there in terms of UI, that still takes some getting used to. But the playback is brilliant, it's such in integral aspect that needed to be corrected, and Adobe did a great job.
    The smooth playback and quick response is now something to keep me from going to Final Cut, especially as a HDSLR shooter.

Oh and another thing, the business of exporting is VASTLY improved. No media encoder and it will reliably render MP4 properly now, and does it fast! 10 seconds of 1080 is 30 seconds, much quicker than before I find.
    Last edited by benesotor; 05-05-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Default My experience with Adobe CS5 and 5d Mark II

Just thought I'd share my experience with you in regards to Adobe CS5 and the 5d Mark II. I also used Cineform to edit video with CS4, and things worked okay, but never great. So I moved to CS5, used the trans coded footage and was able to finish my short film, even though CS5 would crash every 15 minutes. The sucky thing was that I couldn't export my finished product. I tried on two high end computers and each time the system's ram would get tapped out and the program would crash. This was for a short 20 minute film. Well I did a test with native 5d Mark II footage and I'm happy to report that it works fine. I think the system was just burning so much ram trying to process my trans coded files. Now I have to go through and re-edit or relink all of my files. I'll probably just start from scratch so I don't have to worry about stray transcoded files, but will see.

So there you go, my cautionary tale, if your going to use CS5 DON"T TRANSCODE YOUR VIDEO!

Same here, now that Premiere can use any RAM you throw at it, as soon as I started trying to edit cineform files premiere ate all of my 6GB.

Anyway I don't see how cineform are going to manage for much longer, what with you being able to edit RED footage natively now.
    It won't be long till finalcut is going to be doing the same stuff.