Thread: Rendering video for multiple purposes

Default Rendering video for multiple purposes

I am using Vegas Pro 9.0.

I am making a video (personal purposes; a gift) for a friend, but am having trouble to decide the best rendering settings.

I'd like to upload it on the internet + render a video for her to watch on her comp, but at the same time, I'd like to burn a DVD version for her family to watch on TV.

Usually when I make videos, I've only ever rendered them for computer purposes, and often use the HDV 1280x720 settings. However, when played on TV, the pictures/videos gets sort of distorted.

So I figured I needed to use different settings, and decided to change project settings to PAL DV Widescreen (Aussie TV here). However, because the size is a little different, I have to tweak every picture and video again to make it fit the video properly.

This is a big hassle and I was wondering if there's any rendering options I could use that does not involve me readjusting all the videos/pics.

I tried rendering with PAL DV Widescreen for my HDV 720 document (rather than changing it in project settings beforehand), but it looks horribly squashed into a 4:3 on the computer. Will it look any different on TV? Ran out of DVDs to try out at home.

Sorry for the dodgy explanation, I'm still a newbie with these sort of stuff.

Blog Entries

I don't really understand this bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaaaahs View Post
    So I figured I needed to use different settings, and decided to change project settings to PAL DV Widescreen (Aussie TV here). However, because the size is a little different, I have to tweak every picture and video again to make it fit the video properly.
    In what way does it not "fit the video"? What tweaks do you have to perform?

If you work as I do with footage which is 16:9, use a project setting which match this and render using the PAL DV Widescreen. If you have footage which is not 16:9 obviously you'll have to decide whether that is pillar boxed in your 16:9 or whether you need to crop it, but you'd have to do that for your 1280x720 settings anyway.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I don't really understand this bit...

In what way does it not "fit the video"? What tweaks do you have to perform?

If you work as I do with footage which is 16:9, use a project setting which match this and render using the PAL DV Widescreen. If you have footage which is not 16:9 obviously you'll have to decide whether that is pillar boxed in your 16:9 or whether you need to crop it, but you'd have to do that for your 1280x720 settings anyway.
    Thanks for replying! You cleared up a bit of my confusion despite my confusing post! haha xD

Yeah after I did some tests... I realised that changing the project settings to PAL DV Widescreen and rendering HDV 720 with PAL DV Widescreen doesn't really make a difference to the end result.

Cos before, when I played the HDV720 file on TV, the pictures/videos often look a little be distorted. I figured it was because I needed to render it with PAL DV Widescreen. But instead of changing the render settings, I changed the project settings from HDV720 to PAL DV Widescreen, so the project canvas "stretched" a little more and I had gaps on either side of the photos/videos that I had previously adjusted to fit in the HDV720 video. This was the "tweaking" I talked about in the first place, cos I had to readjust all the photos/videos to fit in the new canvas size.

So in summary:

• HDV720 (project settings) rendered with PAL DV Widescreen (render settings) and PAL DV Widescreen (project settings) rendered with PAL DV Widescreen (render settings) is the same thing.
    • Likewise, PAL DV Widescreen (project settings) rendered with HDV720 (render settings) and HDV720 (project settings) rendered with HDV720 (render settings) is the same thing.

Is that correct? I hope I'm using the terminology right, anyway...

But I was kind of wondering if there was one project/render settings I could use that could be burnt for both viewing on the computer and on TV; cos when I watch the video rendered with PAL DV Widescreen, it displays in a 4:3 ratio (squished compared to preview in vegas) on the comp while it looks normal on TV. I'm guessing I have to render it twice (once with HDV720 for computer, and another with PAL DV Widescreen for TV) for what I wanted. I was hoping I could save time by having one render reach both purposes, but I guess I can't be lazy after all?

Am I right about all of this? I have another question but I think I'll clear myself up on this before I think about it...