Thread: Canon XL1 Firewire port, is it evil?

Question Canon XL1 Firewire port, is it evil?

Hi,

I've just bought a Canon XL1 off of ebay, and even though I thought the heads needed replacing, in SP record mode they appear to be fine, just in LP there's some on screen break up.

Anyway the reason for this post, I spoke to a chap from Premier Electronic Services Ltd who I found on ebay, in order to get my Canon XL1 serviced and a possible head replacement. During the conversation he recommended that I don't use the Firewire/DV port on the camera to pull footage off, because computers, or as he put it Software, blows the port up and rendering the camera useless.

Is this true?

Being an I.T Consultant and I.T Broadcast Engineer of over 15 years, I find it a little difficult to believe. For sure software won't cause the issue, only hardware can send an over voltage signal and fry hardware. So unless it's down to improper use, or dodgy sockets/interface on the camera I can't see how it would happen.

What's your thoughts?

The only danger I've heard of is plugging in or un-plugging when the camera is switched on. If it's not switched on when you plug in, it should be fine.

I think you would have to have a seriouse fault in the PC hardware to blow the port.

3. Default

Apparently...

When you unplug the cable there is a possibility, admittedly a minute possibility but it's there nevertheless, that you can short out a couple of contacts which could damage the firewire board.

It has happened in the past and so the advice remains. Switch off then unplug.

Some prosumer Sony models had this problem but it's quite rare and only happens if everything is on and you're constantly plugging in and unplugging.
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

Blog Entries

It was quite a problem, especially with firewire mixers which should always be connected and switched on before switching on the computer. With camcorders, according to my geek, they should be switched off before connecting and disconnecting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBassist View Post
    Some prosumer Sony models had this problem but it's quite rare and only happens if everything is on and you're constantly plugging in and unplugging.
    I think this is somewhat misleading and will tempt some to think 'oh well, i can maybe unplug it just this once' or similar.

It's far from rare - and far from limited to 'a few Sony Prosumer Models' - as the number of 'My Firewire Port Doesn't Work' posts indicate - as everyone else has said - NEVER EVER EVER plug or unplug while the camera is switched on. As long as you adhere to that rule - you'll be fine.

Yes, sorry. I should have made it clear that you should never have the camera on whilst unplugging and typically the manual of the camera will tell you the exact set-up in which to connect everything up.

Is it really a widespread issue? I hadn't seen much of stuff over the web but I guess that it must affect a lot of models of Sony then!!

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBassist View Post
    ... but I guess that it must affect a lot of models of Sony then!!
    Not just restricted to Sony. It's a fundamental design fault of the IEEE1394 socketry.

Oh man...OK. Thanks for the info on that Andy. I've never seen or heard about it on other than Sony models but I guess that's just been a coincidence :P