Thread: CABAC vs. CAVLC

Question CABAC vs. CAVLC

When rendering AVCHD I have the encoding option of CABAC or CAVLC can anyone explain the difference and which one I should use? Thanks
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Seems like CABAC crashes Vegas and CAVLC drops the audio from the entire video!? I just can't win stupid AVCHD

What version of Sony do you have?

Where did you see CAVLC & CABAC when encoding?

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    What version of Sony do you have?

Where did you see CAVLC & CABAC when encoding?
    Vegas Pro 9c x86 now it renders without crashing HOWEVER still no audio, I am trying a render as we speak that I checked the automatic gain control and we will see what happens, the only reason I kept unchecking it is because if checked when I made DVD's it drops the audio really low.

So far I get that CAVLC is older than CABAC and CABAC has better efficiency at lower bitrates by 10-15% but requires more resources to encode and decode it over CAVLC. If your uploading to youtube I would guess to go with CABAC because of the bitrate compression that will take place during youtubes processing.

Question Help

It worked, the automatic gain control included the audio even though the include audio was already checked. So that problem is out of the way however, now I get audio sync problems with the video. 2 different renders with the same setting turned out two different synced clips.

First the audio started to get a few seconds ahaid of the video about 90% way through.

Second time the audio got way ahaid 75% the way through, can't figure this one out I don't know if its related to the CABAC use or not.

ALSO can anyone tell me this,

If I have 15 source clips, and they range from 14,514kbps to 16,691kbps, what do I set my render settings to? 14,000, 15,000 or 16,000? Not sure whats better, up-rendering in kbps or down-rendering in kbps.

Still not sure what render template you are using, I normally render to MPEG2 for DVD with no audio and then render the audio as a separate file as AC3, this is for DVD-A

Still not sure what render template you are using, I normally render to MPEG2 for DVD with no audio and then render the audio as a separate file as AC3, this is for DVD-A
    I was talking about a DVD Architect stream but I figured out the audio. Still this a/v sync problem in AVCHD .m2ts is driving me nuts

I don't use that myself, I use one that gives me MPEG2 file, DVD-A should not be re-rendering any files if done correctly from Vegas.

I don't use that myself, I use one that gives me MPEG2 file, DVD-A should not be re-rendering any files if done correctly from Vegas.
    I guess I'm not doing it correctly because I have always wondered that myself all this double rendering scares me.