Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding video copyright? help

Default Wedding video copyright? help

hi all,

I've recently set up my own video production company and have started doing the odd wedding video. I always make sure I do everything by the book. I get my music license from

Wedding Video Licences

the license covers me for:

The hymns and worship songs sung during the service.
    Any music or songs performed live while you are signing the register.
    Any music from a commercial CD, DVD or tape whilst filming (or over-dubbed afterwards).
    The performance of a live band at the reception.
    Any music played at a disco.

It also lets me re-produce 10 copies of this dvd.

My question is this. with this licence can I put a short 'highlights' video on my website with the music from that dvd? or do I need another license?

I edited a really nice 3min clip for a customer yesterday using a Beyonce song. i would really like to load the video onto my website as part of a showreel so that other customers can see examples of my work. Would i be breaking the law?

any help would be very much appreciated.

Looks like you've got all the bases covered to me.

Blog Entries

As far as I know, those licences do not cover internet broadcast. Reading the PRS website, a seperate licence exists for online distribution. This licence seems to be the most appropriate: Limited Online Music Licence (LOML)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    As far as I know, those licences do not cover internet broadcast. Reading the PRS website, a seperate licence exists for online distribution. This licence seems to be the most appropriate: Limited Online Music Licence (LOML)
    Well that surprised me but as always I'm no expert.

Blog Entries

As ever with copyright issues, you're probably not on safe ground until you've consulted with a legal expert. Looking at whats covered by the OP's licence, it does seem that internet distribution isn't covered. I just wish this was less of a grey area!
    Posted via Mobile Device

That licence is for audio only and not Video and audio, You could upload to YouTube as they have licenses for some companies (the reason for the adds on the video)

The whole issue is a nightmare and could be made easier as the as per licence you have.

You could also try the IOV | Institute of Videography you can buy the MCPS & PRS stickers separately as well so tailor to your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    That licence is for audio only and not Video and audio,
    But surely . . . If the wedding producer owns the copyright of the uploaded 'video' that 'audio' license is all he needs.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

i arrived at that licence by following a series of links on their website aimed at selecting the right licence for the OP's needs, i.e. Music for video distributed online to a limited audience. I will contact them for confirmation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

The trouble is with telephone conversations to these departments, and we've all been there, it depends who you get information from and they're rarely consistent.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I know we own the video, but it has a different name which escapes me at present as soon as you SYNC video with audio , it becomes a different licence.

It can also be classed depending on who you talk to at MCPS as an advert, so a different pricing and licence required again.

I have never come across a company that has so many different rules and regs for the playing of music, be it in a barber shop, swimming pool, sauna, fitness club, it's just mad...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast