Thread: Movie GUI / Documentary

Lightbulb Movie GUI / Documentary

I have been working on a documentary about a famous tree for a long time now and was wondering how complicated it would get or be to create a GUI animation of the tree dropping it's leaves?

Pretty much the basis of this example 1:09-1:11

Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Well I would say to do that would be MEGA complicated and take a long time. BUT I know nothing about animation.

Here is a long post; which won't answer the question; but may be worthy of consideration.

I suspect the could be done with Adobe After Effects and an equally expensive addin called Trapcode (Trapcode - Products). Mega expensive in money and time (to learn how to use it). Or with some of the other top of the range animations programs; like Autodesk.

The principles are, I think, the same. In the example, the birds are treated as being "particles". These particles can them be manipulated as a group, using the same physics which apply to smoke, clouds, liquids, crowds, Orks or flocking birds. To complicate the matter, each Bird is not just a blob. Each one is series of a flying animations; probably looped and staggered so the birds don't all flap their wings at the same time.

The video also shows the birds flying around the lady. It looks like no bird actually crosses her path; which makes it easier

The video, I assume, uses a CGI tree; making it easier to connect the Birds to the branches. Sadly, Mr PinkFloydEffect's tree was real. And the tree (camera) might be moving.

If I can think of anything more useful, I shall post again.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Here is a long post; which won't answer the question; but may be worthy of consideration.

I suspect the could be done with Adobe After Effects and an equally expensive addin called Trapcode (Trapcode - Products). Mega expensive in money and time (to learn how to use it). Or with some of the other top of the range animations programs; like Autodesk.

The principles are, I think, the same. In the example, the birds are treated as being "particles". These particles can them be manipulated as a group, using the same physics which apply to smoke, clouds, liquids, crowds, Orks or flocking birds. To complicate the matter, each Bird is not just a blob. Each one is series of a flying animations; probably looped and staggered so the birds don't all flap their wings at the same time.

The video also shows the birds flying around the lady. It looks like no bird actually crosses her path; which makes it easier

The video, I assume, uses a CGI tree; making it easier to connect the Birds to the branches. Sadly, Mr PinkFloydEffect's tree was real. And the tree (camera) might be moving.

If I can think of anything more useful, I shall post again.
    Money is not an issue with software, however in my case if my camera shot is not steady enough I can use a high resolution still photo?

The only thing with After Effects I don't understand is if all your editing is done in Vegas why RErender the final file that is just setting yourself up for quality loss? Exp AVCHD

I don't want the birds just actual leaves, I just like the effects. They don't have to fly to one side or wrap around anyone just fall onto the ground straight down would be alright.

I had been posting a few cover images on Forums: Digital Photography Review

The people there literally took my photos and had enough spare time to rework all them, I was amazed as for it makes this documentary a bit easier on getting the content right and not worrying about effects. If anyone thinks they can do this let me know I will provide the After Effects software if it's something someone feels they can take on a 3-5 second clip.

(note - My earlier suggestion mentioned Trapcode; a commerical addin to AE. It is not an Adobe product.). If I had the skill to do it, I would be pleased to help.

I liked some of the images posted in the other forum; and I have looked closely at the image posted in this forum.

I don't want to suggest a compromise of PinkFloydEffect's requirement for a falling leaves animation, but could suggest an alternative effect.

If it were possible to manipulate the still image to produce 2 images, some nice video transitions easily be done between images of, for example between:

a) the tree with leaves (I might suggest airbrushing/adding more leaves).

b) the tree without any leaves. Some airbrushing would be required, as some leaves appear in front of branches; and others against different shades of blue sky.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    (note - My earlier suggestion mentioned Trapcode; a commerical addin to AE. It is not an Adobe product.). If I had the skill to do it, I would be pleased to help.

I liked some of the images posted in the other forum; and I have looked closely at the image posted in this forum.

I don't want to suggest a compromise of PinkFloydEffect's requirement for a falling leaves animation, but could suggest an alternative effect.

If it were possible to manipulate the still image to produce 2 images, some nice video transitions easily be done between images of, for example between:

a) the tree with leaves (I might suggest airbrushing/adding more leaves).

b) the tree without any leaves. Some airbrushing would be required, as some leaves appear in front of branches; and others against different shades of blue sky.
    Good idea I was thinking along those lines and still might take that approach.

Also I came up with a neat effect for trees "dissapearing" do to Dutch Elm Disease, on a very bright sunny day with clouds I can shoot the shadow at about 2pm and film a cloud rolling over the sun witch makes the shadow dissapear and a dramatic effect of Elms dissapearing all over the world (witch they are) I will find as many Elms as possible and make a colash of all them "dissapearing"