Thread: 'Four Thousand Bricks' Desert Short Film

Default 'Four Thousand Bricks' Desert Short Film

Hi,

I recently flew out to the Sinai desert in Egpyt to help my brother on a project ran by the Makhad Trust who are currently building a school for a small village in the desert.
    Part of the job was to build clay bricks from the clay we could gather, and my brother has been working with the native bedouin for many months.

I joined for a couple weeks and documented my experience living with the local bedouin, and the job at hand. It's hard to capture the atmosphere and beauty of the environment, but I did my best with the time/resources I had!

Anyway I only started using Premiere Pro CS4 a month or 2 ago, so I'm still very much in the learning stage with video production!
    You'll probably be able to pick the film to pieces, but I'd love some tips on how to make my production a bit more 'pro'.

PS. Everything was filmed on a Canon 7D with the basic 28-135mm kit lens.

Thanks!

Fabulous images, great shots, good editing. The only negative about it was I thought it would have been better with a narration to help sustain interest for the duration of the piece.

The only thing I would say was a fault was on a few shots there was some odd artifacts on the silhouetted rocks. Was that on the original footage or a rendering/upload problem ?

The last little niggle, maybe I'm being to finicky, was there was a lot of wind noise from the mic which could have been edited out.

There is nothing to pull apart about this piece it's very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Fabulous images, great shots, good editing. The only negative about it was I thought it would have been better with a narration to help sustain interest for the duration of the piece.

The only thing I would say was a fault was on a few shots there was some odd artifacts on the silhouetted rocks. Was that on the original footage or a rendering/upload problem ?

The last little niggle, maybe I'm being to finicky, was there was a lot of wind noise from the mic which could have been edited out.

There is nothing to pull apart about this piece it's very good.
    Thanks! Glad you liked it

I agree on the naration side of things, It certianly would make the peice more complete. I think I'm colaberating with some footage of other people from the trip, maybe we'll work some narration into that film.

You're right on the artifacts, bit of a pain. It's only appeared on the vimeo playback, maybe some issue with the conversion on the vimeo side of things. Shame.

Yup wind noise was a problem, wish I had an external mic. I was trying to balance the levels so I didn't loose some of the desireable sound by cutting out the wind, I could've probably done it better though.

Cheers!

If the artifacts are not on the original you could try re-uploading it on to Vimeo and see if the second version is better.

It's not always easy to chop out undesirable sounds like wind noise.

Yeah might do that, I'll wait a bit though 'cause if vimeo is anything like youtube some finishing of the conversion takes place a while after the video is actually live.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benesotor View Post
    It's hard to capture the atmosphere and beauty of the environment, but I did my best with the time/resources I had!
    Nevertheless, you did a good enough job to give us a good idea of both.
    Whilst a narration would add another dimension, I don't think it's crucial - the film tells a story as it is and I do wonder about a v/o possibly spoiling the mood of the piece. There again, it might not!
    Some of the pans seemed a little shaky but that may have been download speed/conversion.
    Other problems have already been mentioned.
    I just loved the colours and the imagery. If I had to cut it down (and you might want to do a 4 min version as people are more likely to watch to the end if they know it's that short) I'd concentrate on the shots of the kids working - you've got some really good stuff there - and cut out some of the scenery, beautiful though it is.
    That was a good uplifing film which really cheered me up on this cold and wet Sunday evening.
    Tim