Thread: Bringing photos into MS9P

Default Bringing photos into MS9P

Using MS9P. Scanned lots of old photos to bring into MS. Most are about 5megs each. Also about 10 minutes of old 8mm film clips. Any advantage to bring in as jpegs rather then psd or tif? Most scans are at 300. Does this matter? And what size should the photos be brought in? Want a final dvd widescreen. Should I crop to 1920x1080 or can I just use "Match Output Aspect" in Event Pan & Crop?

Thanks

Yes, this can all get out of shape very quickly.

Here are my guiding "Rules o' thumbs" that get me through:

1] Don' Choke the Edit!:
    Use a size of Still that wont choke the editing. I have some Vegas captured Still from MP4 footage, and that came in at 153.7kb. Looks good on a 40" SONY BRAVIA. I just did a Vegas Snapshot of a piece from AVCHD ( horrid format! ) at full reso and that is 357.86kb. But when I open it up in PaintShopPro it is telling me it is taking up 6mb in RAM and it is 9.6x 5.4 cms. But that is at the import in to PSP. So we have to careful when we are thrashing about numbers in this way.

2] "One Step Beyond!":
    Use a reso of Still that I can zoom into without noticeable loss of reso. Nothing worse than that, especially on a big screen.

3] Don't be a slave to Cropping:
    Crop stills that give me what I want in the view. As long as you have what you need, crop away.

4] NO ENTRY!
    Avoid TIFF and at all cost, and 5mb stills! Why are you using 5mb stills?

Also remeber that you will most likely be having your work screened, these days, on some 30" > 40" LCD/Plassies. You WILL need good resolution otherwise stills will look "mean". DO some tests and see what YOU are comfortable with - yeah?

BTW, I just re-sized that AVCHD ( horrid format!) Still by 67%. Went down from 357kb > 105kb. Still looks good to me.