Thread: Canon XL1 Accessories Recommendations

Smile Canon XL1 Accessories Recommendations

Hi,

I've just joined after googling Canon XL1 and was wondering what kit, lenses, tapes and accessories people recommend for the Canon XL1.

I've just bought one on ebay for 450 (cheap out of auction due to possibly needing a head replacement), and it'll be going off for a full service shortly.

It comes with the standard lens, lens bag, standard mic, battery, charger, but also the MA-100 microphone adapter which is a bonus

I'm going to be doing a mixture of work, nightclub events, interviews, training videos for photography (my dad the pro) and the odd short film.

I intend to get a Hoya UV/Protector filter, but whether or not I'll go for the newer HD version is another matter.

As I mentioned in another post (linky) I will be using my Macbook Pro for editing instead of my more powerful Intel Skulltrail PC, and after doing some research I've decided to go for Final Cut 4 Express as it has most of the features of Pro, but just a lot cheaper.

Love to hear your feedback oh wise ones

Thanks,

Matt

The only thing I can recommend is a tripod and a good microphone.

Is the standard on body mic no good? I have read you can get a rode mic for it. For studio work I have 2 studio condenser phantom powered mics, one of which came from Meridian T.V (Southampton studio is now gone) when they where down sizing. Perks of working at a radio station I guess.

The studio mics wouldn't be any good on the body, as they are directional mics.

Any recommendations?

Matt

I've never used one but like all on board Mic's if you are to far away they will sound rubbish. Every thing I know about Mic's could be written on the end of an Sure 58.

Ok, thanks anyway.

As it comes with the MA-100 I can use my Sure stage mic I guess.

Matt