Thread: Canon HG20 AVCHD Editing rig--school me

Default Canon HG20 AVCHD Editing rig--school me

Hey guys, I registered here for some help.

I've had a Canon Vixia HG20 for about a year now and I really like it, but unfortunately my current PC is just not powerful enough to handle any of the footage. Now, I knew when buying it that I'd need to upgrade, but the finances have been tight for a while. I'm ready to buy an entirely new PC rig in the next week or two, but despite as much research as I've been doing, I'm still a bit confused on what I'm going to need.

Here's what I want to do: Edit the AVCHD files, most likely on Sony Vegas, to upload on youtube and/or burn to SD DVDs. I'm not going to be doing anything with After Effects, I just want a smooth editing and rendering process. My current PC can't even handle PLAYING the files off of my camera.

What I've known: From everything I've read, a quad-core processor is basically a must, and preferably with around 2.5ghz. That's fine, as most of the computers I've been looking at are roughly to those specs.

Now, I've heard that the newer i7 processors are really where it's at in terms of AVCHD editing, but they're also quite expensive. I really need to know if it's necessary for me to spend the extra money, or if I can get away with relatively smooth editing on a more budget-concsious set-up.

My budget: I'm looking to spend around $800-$1000 on this. Even that is stretching it already, yet the cheapest i7 computer I've found is $1150 for just the tower alone--no monitor or speakers. My current monitor is a very old, gigantic CRT dinosaur and I'd like to get a package deal that includes a new one if at all possible. I can get a deal within my budget, but it's an i5 processor and I don't know if that's going to be enough.

So that's where I'm at. Hopefully you guys can give me some advice on what I'm going to need. I just want to know what's going to be optimal for doing short (sub-10 minute) videos comfortably. If you need me to clarify anything else I'll do my best, just ask.

tl;dr summary: what are the optimal PC specifications I'm going to need to comfortably edit AVCHD video on a budget of around $1000?

Nelson, New Zealand

Hi, Have you checked out the benchmark tests done on real editing tasks like this web site uses, it might give you a better idea of what you need, you might find you can get an i5 with faster cores for much less than a i7 with slower cores and have much the same performance depending on the program you are using.

Intel Lynnfield Core i5-750 & Core i7-870 Processor Review - Page 13

Good hunting Bryan