Thread: Video quality?

Default Video quality?

I'm using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Collection 14, and the quality of my videos is very bad. I'm importing video at a fairly decent quality, 840x514, 60 fps. When I import them and save them as a file, without even editing them, the quality drops considerably. I've tried so many different settings, and none seem to be that good. Also, the preview viewed in Full Screen is terrible quality, which I'm assuming is tied to the poor quality of the videos. I don't know what else to do, I've tried saving as every different kind of AVI setting, MPEG, MPEG-2, Windows Movie, etc.

What is the format of the original file ? 840 x 514 seems an unusual size where did it come from ? Is the original video progressive or interlaced ?

The original file is AVI. The video is FRAPS recording, recording at half my screen size (1680x1050) minus a few pixels on the top due to a title-bar I imagine. And I believe it's Progressive, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm not sure what settings you have available to you with Version 14 as I stopped using Pinnacle after version 10 or 11. I remember the best setting to make a .avi file was using the DV codec. It would only render as an interlaced file, hopefully this has changed for your version. If you are seeing interlaced combing artifacts try saving in progressive mode.

The problem I think you may be having could be the resizing to a more standard size ie 720 x 480. Add the pull down from 60fps to 30fps. It's probably not going to help.

I am not a mega expert on this subject I'm just speculating based on the info I have.