Thread: What can I do to improve the editing capabilities of my PC?

Default What can I do to improve the editing capabilities of my PC?

Hi, I want to start editing holiday videos to put onto DVD. I already have an OK computer, and all the software I need, but would like to know how I can best improve it for no more than £150. My current specs are:

Mobo: Aopen AK79D-400VN
    CPU: 2400 Athlon XP (266FSB)
    RAM: 1x256Mb Samsung PC2100
    HDD: 160Gb Spinpoint PATA133, partitioned to leave 120Gb for editing.
    Graphics: 32Mb Geforce MX200
    Sound: Onboard
    Capture: Firewire PCI card to capture from DV camcorder
    No microphone for adding voiceovers, as yet

My guess is that I need to get more memory, but do I need low latency or will the value range of a major retailer be OK? After the memory, what else should I upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the advice, Chris.

Blog Entries

Processor:
    Your mobo takes upto an AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+ - £100. Or get a decent heatsink, fan and thermal compound and overclock the current CPU - about £30

Harddrive
    Get an extra 160GB for about £50

RAM

Looks like you've got one stick of 256MB (or two of 128!!!). It's actually got dual channel DDR, so either get another stick of exactly the same or ditch it and get matching pairs of PC3200 (400MHz) DDR to place in the dual channel slots - this would take up the whole budget for a gig of RAM.

Hi Marc, Thanks for the reply.

Processor:
    Your mobo takes upto an AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+ - £100. Or get a decent heatsink, fan and thermal compound and overclock the current CPU - about £30
    I've tried OCing my CPU, but it won't even take a 1Mhz increase, so the only option in this catagory would be a new CPU.

Harddrive
    Get an extra 160GB for about £50
    Although this isn't that costly, how much would it improve the editing situation?

RAM

Looks like you've got one stick of 256MB (or two of 128!!!). It's actually got dual channel DDR, so either get another stick of exactly the same or ditch it and get matching pairs of PC3200 (400MHz) DDR to place in the dual channel slots - this would take up the whole budget for a gig of RAM.
    I've got one stick of DDR, and I can't guarantee getting another the same, so I'd be happier with the replacement RAM option. Would my best bet be something like Corsair VS 1Gb (2x512) CAS 2.5, as I've seen this for £107.50 + p&p, or do I need something more along the lines of the TwinX range?

So, given my budget, it comes down to new CPU or new RAM. Would replacing one have more advantage over replacing the other?

Cheers, Chris.

Blog Entries

In the simplest of terms, upgrading the CPU will speed up encoding times, upgrading RAM will make it easier to navigate around the timeline/avoid system haults etc.

I'd be tempted to get something like this from Crucial. Corsair RAM is great, but I think it's a bit of overkill, especially if you're not planning to overclock the system. Don't forget to take into acount the money you might get from selling your current CPU on ebay - see here

Blog Entries

For the love of god, who would buy a second hand CPU?

Loads of people, evidently!

If it works, let them do it!

Looking at the completed items section, they seem to go for anywhere between £35 - £45, so if you add £35 to your budget, you might be able to afford something a bit more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe
    Loads of people, evidently!

If it works, let them do it!
    Bless 'em

Nothing wrong with second hand CPU's if they work - they work.
    First thing I would do is throw away the PC2100 ram and get some decent memory. The speed in which the cpu can communicate with the memory will have great effects on the computers ability to render - and infact do nearly everything. Your bus speed will currently be 2x133mhz and is capable of 2x200 mhz, you have the potential to increase memory throughput by 150%. Also get at least 512 idealy 1 gig. With this alone you will see worthwhile improvments in system speed.
    Several editing systems now rely more on GPU acceleration as well, (well a few do) your graphics card is very old relative to the system, consider something more moden again this should improve the systems overall appearance of speed. Oh I have a Geforce 4 4200ti for sale if you want to make me an offer lol

Ed
    First B/W semi pro music video in the bag! More to come.
    Dual Athlon MP 2800+ 2 Gig DDR Ram Pinnacle Edition V6.1 pro 2xXL1s