Thread: Best Cam for club/festival event recording

Default Best Cam for club/festival event recording

I've seen good priced second hand Canon XL1's just over 1000 but also some good HD camcorders, is it worth going for something so big like the Canon or can you get away without loss of quality with the smaller handy cams?

Just looking for the best contender really.

I will be recording at live club/festival events where it may be quite dark, also a good mic system that does not clip sound at very high levels is also required, any suggestions on that front?

The videos will be going online so I suppose it dosnt have to be to be HD TV quality but HD is a must still and the sound must be good.
    Last edited by daeus; 04-24-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Funny really, I've just joined this forum and will be using my camera for the same purpose.

I've been doing club photography for a few years now (since 2003) and used a few cameras over the years, currently I use a Nikon D200 with all the toys.

Video wise, I've just bought a Canon XL1 (arrived today). I picked mine up for 450 on ebay as the heads may need replacing, something I've already arranged along with a full service.

After watching a lot of auctions recently I've seen the XL1's go for around 630 to 830 depending on what they come with. I'm still watching some other auctions, but more to see what they sell for than to bid.

I'm going to be using mine for club work to as part of my site The DJ Book (google it) and my work with a DJ duo I've been managing for some years now. I also intend to do some short films and tutorial videos.

I know I need to invest in a light, like the Paglight C6 (there maybe others, but I saw that on another auction), plus a Windjammer for the on body mic (linky), camera bag, good tripod (seen these ones from China, not sure if there any good Linky need to get the right head for the camera) and mine came with the MA-100 XL microphone adapter which also provides extra pad for the shoulder as well as 2 balanced XL inputs as well as the on body mic. This would be usefull for recording off a soundtrack in a DJ set from the mixer.

I hope that helps, I'm new to DV stuff, a loooong time again in the mid 90's I trained using standard VHS and edited on a Panasonic high end analogue setup. Wasn't mine mind you, but was fun to use!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by daeus View Post
    I've seen good priced second hand Canon XL1's

HD is a must still and the sound must be good.
    As far as I know the Canon XL1 isn't HD.

Humm, So HD is a must and you want good sound quality, tricky. In my experince using a HD handy cams, you can get HD on a budget, less than 1000 for sure but you sacrifise professional quality output and good audio as the on board mics are terrible.

But...you could record your audio on a seperate device with a much better mic, then sync it all in post production.

Another point is unlike the XL1, handy cams (correct me if I'm wrong) don't have much flexiblity when it comes to lenses/filters.

Personally I wouldn't worry about HD with online video, for 2 reasons:

1) file size, upload and download HD will be bigger unless you compress.
    2) download time for users watching the footage. Try watching HD video on YouTube on an average internet connect. Then go make a cuppa whilst it buffers

Matt

I just found some footage I record on a Panasonic HD handy cam on YouTube. Can't remember the model number, and to be honest it's kicking around the house somewhere, where I have no idea

This isn't in HD due to the file size, but is an example of an outdoor shoot with standard mic and no light. Average sunny day, over cast a little and was recorded in HD format even if the uploaded file isn't.

Warning, it does feature trains. Not my choice, I was dragged out by my younger brother and dad.

Matt