Thread: New short movie

1. Default New short movie

Hey can you please tell me what you think of my new youtube video "rumor - a short movie" constructive criticism would also be nice, its only 2 and a half minutes long, so it wont take alot to watch it thanks

2. Default

please watch

Be aware. I don't have any of the skills used in this clip. So feel free to ignore my comments.

I liked the b/w (because I am particularly interested in b/w at the moment).
    I liked the length. I liked scenes, the acting and the story.
    I liked the scene at 1:31 where the white paper appears 5 times and then we get the runners white hood.

But. I did not like the shaky camera (e.g the opening shot).
    The story seemed a little weak. Yes, rumours spread - so what?
    Not good enough attempt to disguise the characters (they all seem to be wearing white trainers).

I like the message you are trying to put across. What made you choose B&W to shoot in ? I do think it works in B&W. I agree there was a little to much shaky camera work for my taste. I think it would have worked better if you could have got more friends involved so you didn't have to do so much unnecessary running and more people would have given it more interest.

Interesting music choice. A good mix of camera angles and shots. Some good ideas like the shot at 1:30 and the torn paper shot at the end.

Well done.

Blog Entries

It seemed to me that the "Rumours SPread" message might be part of an anti-bullying campaign or similar. I liked the concept.
    I'm not totally sure about the spaghetti western music, but it worked for me.
    Wobby camera is OK if intentional for action scenes. Not for static.

But my biggest gripe is you really need to learn about continuity of action. Unless you are doing a fight or horror scene where you are intending to confuse, you should never cut from a shot with an actor running screen left to right directly to a shot of the same actor in the same scene running screen right to left. Insert a neutral shot in between (head on, from behind or a cut away). It just looks so wrong.
    Tim

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I like the message you are trying to put across. What made you choose B&W to shoot in ? I do think it works in B&W. I agree there was a little to much shaky camera work for my taste. I think it would have worked better if you could have got more friends involved so you didn't have to do so much unnecessary running and more people would have given it more interest.

Interesting music choice. A good mix of camera angles and shots. Some good ideas like the shot at 1:30 and the torn paper shot at the end.

Well done.
    the black and white was used for 2 reasons
    1: i film on my phone, yes not the greatest camera in the world, but i still wanna make videos, and make people laugh (i have a comedy series called "laziness prevails" ) and try and make people think, like with rumor, so when i looked back, the colour was very grainy and the forest looked very bland, so it made all the shots look more boring.
    2: to emphasise the Rumor, as being 2 dimensional, as in black and white, and that at the end it gets broken.

i hope that makes some sense xD , and yeah the camera shakiness is due to it being a phone, and hard o control, but i kept alot of the shakiness as i thought it added to the "running" effect, some agree and most dont xD but i dont mind as i can learn from that. but i dont mind as much about the shakiness, more about if people liked the message and general feel of it, thats all that matters.

Makes sense to me. Why Rumor and not Rumour ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aw3som3smymiddlename View Post
    1: i film on my phone,
    Well, you certainly managed to get a good result. Well done.
    Tim

Dear Admins, There are two threads for this movie could they be joined in to one thread.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 04-25-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Dear Admins, There are two threads for this movie could they be joined in to one thread.
    Other thread closed (but left there as it explains why it shouldn't be posted there)
    Tim