Thread: Sony Vegas 8 keeps crashing

Default Sony Vegas 8 keeps crashing

Hi,

I'm using Sony Vegas 8 to create a video of my winter holiday last year. The video consists of a large amount of video clips (recorded with a camera) and a few high quality pictures here and there.

The total length of the video is about an hour I think. I used Vegas in the past to create videos even longer than that, but now I am having trouble...

Vegas keeps crashing on me frequently (well, all the time really). Sometimes it will display a very generic message like "An Exception has occured.", sometimes it will crash and windows will show the 'send an error report' dialog, and sometimes it simply disappears completely without the slightest hint of any error.

I can't really pin down the problem, but the crashing seems to occur in a few different circumstances.

The first is when I try to preview my video. If I let the project load completely, for a long time, making sure that the preview window has displayed each picture and video at least once (so basically, I have to manually walk through the entire timeline so every media element is loaded), then it plays fine. But if I don't do this, it will play up until where the timeline goes out of view, try to scroll the timeline and load the media elements that came into view, fail, and crash, with a lot of rumbling of my PC like it's really trying hard not to crash, but failing...

It also often crashes when I am trying to 'select' (I mean, put the marker on the timeline) a picture. Again, it will try to load the picture in the preview window, fail, and crash.

This is getting really annoying now, I can't work on this project anymore because every time I try so much as select a media element, Vegas crashes...

I got the main video basically ready, but I made an intro movie as a separate project. I'm trying to add that in now, but I simply can't because as soon as I do anything, it crashes on me...

I know you are probably going to say that my PC is not up to the job. But as I said, I've worked on projects this scale before without problems. Still, for the record, my PC has 2GB of ram and an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU. Nothing too fancy but I think it should work...
    Oh, also I'm running Windows 7 professional.

Anyway, what I'm looking for really is for some tips on how to deal with this.

Can I split the project into parts, but still render it as a single video? Or should I render the two parts separately, put them back into Vegas and render them again as a whole? That would probably give me really bad quality due to the two rendering passes so I'm trying to avoid that.

Or is there anything I can do to give Vegas more CPU resources or something? Any other ways to deal with crashes..?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT
    This is getting ridiculous... It's now crashing randomly. Even when just scrolling in the timeline, or just now when I was resizing the window... I can't hold out more than 30 seconds in vegas unless I don't touch my mouse and keyboard.

I managed to finish my intro in a different project, now all I need to do is remove the unfinished intro from the real project and paste in the new one, then render it and I can be done with this crap. Seriously, some basic error handling was too much to ask?
    Sorry I'm just getting pissed off when an application crashes for no reason ALL THE TIME.
    Last edited by Flippy; 04-23-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Right, that does it. I can't even render my project, because it either crashes after around one minute, or tells me my system is low on memory... Of course it's low on memory, YOU are eating all my memory for no reason!

Seriously, if I just load up vegas and let it do nothing, its memory usage steadily increases. If I load a project, it goes up to around 1.5 GB within a minute or so. What is going on? Memory leak much?

I promised my friends I would create this video and now I'll have to tell them I can't do it because this stupid piece of sh*t program can't handle an hour long project...!!!

Nice swearing, that has helped cure the problem, Try a a fresh install, perhaps something has corrupted a file

Sorry about that, I just can't believe how unstable a seemingly professional video editing application can be... I had already tried reinstalling, usually the first thing I try.

Anyway, I managed to pin the problem down to the photo's I was using. They probably were too high-res (about 3000x2000 pixels) for Vegas to deal with them, so it just crashed every time it had to load them.

I managed to split the project in two halves, and had no trouble rendering the first half (which did not contain any of these photos), but I was still unable to render the other half. It would render up to 90%, when the photos started, and again it would simply crash.

In the end I had to resort to manually resizing all these photos before it finally worked.

Lesson learned: don't use high-res photos (even though I didn't have any problems with this in the past; I used to create slide shows of hundreds of photos without problems..)

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy View Post
    I just can't believe how unstable a seemingly professional video editing application can be...
    " . . seemingly professional"? It is. Many people are making money from using Vegas and have it as their NLE of choice.

Anyway, I managed to pin the problem down to the photo's I was using.
    I would question about it being a "problem"? You are making yourself aware of what Vegas is allowing us all to do.

They probably were too high-res (about 3000x2000 pixels) for Vegas to deal with them, so it just crashed every time it had to load them.
    If my maths is correct that's like 6mega pixel stills? How many MBs were they? Were they TIFF? This size is excellent for large Poster delivery. Are you intending to use the output from Vegas to supply Screen grabs for Posters? How big is your largest delivery machine? Tell us what NLE would deal with this resolution, without resizing downwards? I'm interested to know?

I managed to split the project in two halves, and had no trouble rendering the first half (which did not contain any of these photos), but I was still unable to render the other half. It would render up to 90%, when the photos started, and again it would simply crash.
    This is good detective work by you - but this is no way a fault of Vegas? Where or what is the real issue here?

In the end I had to resort to manually resizing all these photos before it finally worked.
    I disagree with you with the word "resort". You are implying that this a failing of Vegas. What you finally did was supply a format that allowed Vegas to edit along with you.

Lesson learned: don't use high-res photos (even though I didn't have any problems with this in the past;
    Again, use the format appropriate to the s/w and a machine that can cope with the necessary processing. What Vegas will do is attempt to gobble-up as much as you throw at it. I'd humble offer an opinion that what you have become aware of is just how accepting Vegas is. It will attempt to do nearly most formats - period!

I used to create slide shows of hundreds of photos without problems..)
    Was this also an NLE - Non Linear Editing software, like Vegas?

Y'know, many questions here are directed at "What format should I render to for the best quality?" and in itself that's a fair question to ask. What they don't add is what finally delivery are they wanting to go to. Likewise, for Vegas to work easily with us, we need to supply formats of video, stills, graphics and so on that can be consumed by Vegas and played on a streaming timeline - that's the Previewing going on.

OK, try this for size. In the Project Properties settings, there is now an option to "Adjust source media to better match project or render settings" - I've not considered this for LARGE format stills, but maybe after importing a large format still its pixel range would be reduced - dunno? Try it and see and see if your 6mega pixel stills are somehow reduced for you? If this IS correct, then what you have is a tool that would apply this to your work in the future.

I see you're all defending Vegas, which is OK I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    " . . seemingly professional"? It is. Many people are making money from using Vegas and have it as their NLE of choice.
    Imo, professional applications don't just crash (or simply 'stop existing') without mentioning that there was a problem, let alone mentioning what the problem was. Surely the Vegas developers would have anticipated that people were going to push it too hard? Surely a simple memory monitor could have been used to at least notify the user that he is doing something Vegas cannot handle? Anyway, that's why I said 'seemingly'.

I would question about it being a "problem"? You are making yourself aware of what Vegas is allowing us all to do.
    Of course it is a problem. I am not succeeding in what I'm trying to do, that makes it a problem. Whether that is my problem of Vegas' problem is another question...

If my maths is correct that's like 6mega pixel stills? How many MBs were they? Were they TIFF? This size is excellent for large Poster delivery. Are you intending to use the output from Vegas to supply Screen grabs for Posters? How big is your largest delivery machine? Tell us what NLE would deal with this resolution, without resizing downwards? I'm interested to know?
    They were JPG size. As I said, the only reason I did not down-scale them immediately is because I used even larger pictures before, without problems. Perhaps the combination of pictures + videos was too much? I don't know.

This is good detective work by you - but this is no way a fault of Vegas? Where or what is the real issue here?
    The real issue is that Vegas is crashing without any indication that anything is wrong at all (except, of course, for Vegas crashing). For all I know, there could be a bug in the software that tries a divide-by-zero as soon as it reaches 91%, which could explain a crash. Luckily I am not an idiot and I realized soon enough that it was simply not coping with the size of the project media. Other people may not realize that at all...

I disagree with you with the word "resort". You are implying that this a failing of Vegas. What you finally did was supply a format that allowed Vegas to edit along with you.
    True.

Again, use the format appropriate to the s/w and a machine that can cope with the necessary processing. What Vegas will do is attempt to gobble-up as much as you throw at it. I'd humble offer an opinion that what you have become aware of is just how accepting Vegas is. It will attempt to do nearly most formats - period!
    I agree partly, Vegas is good in that it tries swallows anything. But at the same time, it should at least issue a simple warning if it encounters something it cannot handle.

Was this also an NLE - Non Linear Editing software, like Vegas?
    Yes, it was Vegas too (although an older version I think, maybe 6 or 7). As I said, I wasn't using video in that project, so perhaps that was the reason it could cope that time.

OK, try this for size. In the Project Properties settings, there is now an option to "Adjust source media to better match project or render settings" - I've not considered this for LARGE format stills, but maybe after importing a large format still its pixel range would be reduced - dunno? Try it and see and see if your 6mega pixel stills are somehow reduced for you? If this IS correct, then what you have is a tool that would apply this to your work in the future.
    Thanks, I was not aware of this. I will try it next time I use it.