Thread: iMovie effect

Default iMovie effect

Hi, I'm new.
    I'm a veteran iMovie user for fun.
    I usually can figure stuff out by reading iMovie help or the net.
    But this time I'm reaching out to experts cause I can't figure out how to add an effect to a portion of a movie clip in iMovie '09. Not to an entire clip just a certain portion in a clip.
    Can this be done? If so, are there any free effects out there? The ones in iMovie are quite boring.
    Oh, why does it say Windows Movie Maker under my user name?

Blog Entries

The effects in imovie 09 are not as good as imovie 06 (explain that please Apple!) and, as far as I can tell, are applied to a complete clip.

The "windows movie maker" applies to all new posters and changes once you've got a few posts under your belt!

3. Default

Yes +1 on Gaffer's comment...you could split the clip and put the effect on that part only...no add ons for imovie...next step would be FCE.

Blog Entries

Doh, Why didn't I think of that!

Thanks anyway. What a shame. If i were to split a scene and apply an effect, will the sound track timing be all messed up? I would have to see what this does. There's always the undo button if it gets f'd up.
    Umm...FCE. I had it and then removed it from my Mac due to a difficult learning curve.
    Your saying that this could be done with FCE?
    Well then.

Blog Entries

Yep, FCE can deal with it easily. The learning curve is a bit steep to start with but once you get into it you'll not go back to imovie.

7. Default

Dude, you can do what you want in imovie...just split the clip...add the effect...bingo...it shouldn't affect your sound...the clips will still be continuous. ( You would run into the same thing with other software anyway...) On a side note if I had FCE I would try to learn and implement....quite powerful...but very unlike imovie...you gotta be motivated to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Yep, FCE can deal with it easily. The learning curve is a bit steep to start with but once you get into it you'll not go back to imovie.
    Yeah yeah! Maybe I will get back into it.

Quote Originally Posted by codda View Post
    Dude, you can do what you want in imovie...just split the clip...add the effect...bingo...it shouldn't affect your sound...the clips will still be continuous. ( You would run into the same thing with other software anyway...) On a side note if I had FCE I would try to learn and implement....quite powerful...but very unlike imovie...you gotta be motivated to learn it.
    I'll give it a shot.

Many thanks to Codda. His suggestion to split the part of the clip add the (lame) iMovie effects and bam! Success. Worked like a charm. Audio was left intact correct timing.
    If only there were better effects I would be very happy with it.

10. Default

If the movie is short enough you can render it...re-import it and add additional effects ( essentially layering them...) depending on what your trying to achieve...you can create some interesting effects. I would be all over the FCE though....