Thread: Video Enhancement ????

Default Video Enhancement ????

Hi all,

I am new here and fairly new to video. So hi.

I am wanting to produce good quality/semi-pro video for web use, but my budget is pretty limited... for the moment at any rate.

I have a miniDV Sharp VL-PD6 Viewcam which is actually a pretty good camera with lots of manual controls and a viewfinder !!

Now I am thinking that it is most important to spend my initial money on a good editing suite and am looking at Vegas Pro 9.... Whether this is overkill I am unsure..Perhaps Platinum will do?? But it only has 4 tracks... However I will not have money at this stage for a good camera like a Panasonic TM700. So I have to make do with the miniDV and possibly use software to enhance the video quality. Some folk have said that Vegas has been used to amazing effect here... Any comments on this? Also I am trying vReveal with its SuperResolution facility. I know it is not a substitie for acquiring quality video in the first place... but my budget does not allow it.

Comments on the above greatly welcome. Perhaps you know of better video enhancement software???

Cheers,

Sam

Blog Entries

You can use Vegas to enhance your video certainly. What you cannot do with Vegas or any package is add detail. MiniDV is perfectly adequate for video for the web.

Are you aware that Vegas Movie Studio (& variants) allow up to four tracks EACH of video and audio - so it might not be as limited as you think.

Definitely buy Platinum first. Even if you immediately upgrade to Pro it's cheaper than buying Pro outright (or at least it has been for the past few years - best check rather than rely on what "some bloke on the web told me")
    Tim

Hi All,

Thanks for the great advice. Yes I am seriously considering the purchase of platinum first for the upgrade although if I intend to upgrade immediately I might as well purchase a cheaper variant like Vegas LE. The big question is whether "Platinum", accepting that 4 video track is plenty, is professional enough to produce "pro" quality web video???? Also is its video enhancement tools as comprehensive as "Vegas Pro"?? However I do note that Sony do throw is quite a few sound tools etc into "Platinum" which could be useful which seem absent with "Pro". I guess they assume cos you are a "Pro" you will have bought your own "Pro" sound tools anyway.

One interesting side effect of using HD stock footage was the ability to use the editor's "Pan and Zoom" facility which looks useful. Obviously with SD there is not enough details to do this. Perhaps I hear you say get the detail right first time with the camera !!!

Thanks again.

Sam

Blog Entries

Vegas Pro certainly has more tools available, but it all depends on what you mean by "enhance". The number of increased FX is not significant, though Secondary Colour corrector may be useful.
    Similarly, the various "scopes" for analysing the colour/luminance of video may (or may not) be useful to you.
    I'm sure there are threads on this forum somehwre about the key differences.

Your assumption about Audio Tools is correct. To be honest Sound Forge Audio Studio is not that great (whereas I understand proper "Pro" Sound Forge is). But the basic audiotools included with all versions of Vegas/Movie tudio are very good and superior to those with supplied with other NLEs. They are very good for dealing with whole audio tracks - compressing, adding reverb, noise gate as well as distortion/chorus/flange type effects. You will most likely only need a separate DAW when you want to deal with specific problems or be paricularly creative with your audio.

As for footage. Whether you shoot in HD or SD, when you zoom in using pan and crop you will lose definition. If you are zooming in on HD footage and your output is SD this won't matter. If your footahe is HD and your output is the same resolution HD you will lose something.
    Tim

if it is still valid it is cheaper to buy the low cost version of Sony and then upgrade, it costs less. (do check the site first0

You can increase the tracks but rendering out the finished project and then dragging backthe rendered file into a new project and using the free tracks to carry on.