Thread: suitable microphone

Default suitable microphone

i am planning on doing a documentary type film, i have a Sony DCR-HC62 mini dv camera, but will the built in mic suffice and if not what would you suggest? Considering i am on a budget and can afford something maybe on the level of the camera.

Any feedback much apprechiated Tony

P.S. I shall be doing a lot of indoor and outdoor voice recording, of various subjects.

ahh soz about that, i am still finding my way around the forum. I see there is more than enough explanation already on here about mic's etc.
    I think i shall practice and hone my skills first with my Mini DV Camera then perhaps look at moving up to the more expensive equipment, and thats a maybe I gotta start somewhere
    Last edited by e41000; 04-22-2010 at 11:56 PM.

The on board camera will not be good enough to record sound for a documentary type of a shoot.

Firstly I would recommend reading THIS THREAD if you haven't already done so. You will find a lot of useful information along with a recommendation for a mic for around £150. I would recommend staying away from the Rode Video-Mic. I head a test of it and it was no better than the on board mic of most cameras.

Once you have your mic you will need a way to point it at the people who are talking ie some kind of a boom pole which means it a two man job unless you can lock down your camera and hold the boom yourself.

Middy,
    I agree the Rode mini shotgun ain't great, priced at around £70 .
    I use the Rode NTG2 priced at £159.00 which is excellent and in my humble estimation is not too far behind the Sennheiser 416
    Last edited by solway; 06-05-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    http://www.soundzshop.com
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

http://www.soundclick.com/solway

Blog Entries

Try the Audio Technica range, much better than the Rode's video range.

I thought you was a fan of the Sennheiser K6 range Gaffer.

Blog Entries

I don't like the firm which I find a bit arrogant but they do make exceedingly good microphones. The K6 does have a really nice, clear sound for the price and is much better than the Rode NTG1 or NTG2 however it does cost about twice that of the Rodes (but worth it). At the same price are the Audio Technicas, also better than the NTG 1 & 2 (it used to be said that NTG stood for Not Too Good but the NTG3 seems to be a major improvement, also a lot more expensive) with a much more crisp, yet mellow sound.

Rode make quite good studio microphones but they just couldn't seem to get it together on video mics until the £500 NTG 3