Thread: newbie question: converting flash movie to .mov or .avi movie

Default newbie question: converting flash movie to .mov or .avi movie

Hi there,
    I'm new to flash and video editing and have been asked to supply a flash file as a .mov or .avi file, however, there are specific specs that have been given to me, which I have no idea what to do with. I am using flash cs3, I also have final cut pro (the studio version) and compressor. I initially thought I could just 'export' from flash, but with the settings listed below, I have no clue what to do or what they mean.

Here they are:

Video should be progressive video, square pixel (1:1) and supplied in .mpeg2 or uncompressed .mov format.

Can anyone help me? And I apologize if this is not the right area to be adding this thread...i don't know where else to go...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Choc_123 View Post
    Hi there,
    ... I also have final cut pro (the studio version) and compressor
    1k of software and no manual? I can honestly recommend "Final Cut Pro for Dummies" by Helmut Kobler which will take you through the basics and get you editing. The chapter "exporting your movie to a digital file" will tell you all you need to know and understand.

Well, I didn't buy a manual at the time because I was taking a course on final cut pro and thought they would be suggesting a book to buy for the semester. Turns out no...we only got a few handouts. So, I did go out and buy one myself, but there's nothing in this book about flash and video settings, that's why I thought a forum might be able to help me.

I guess I don't know if I'm supposed to be exporting from flash with certain settings, bringing it in to final cut pro and then using different settings to export to the specs listed.

Thank you for the suggestion on the book...I will definitely go and buy it.

The manuals are all on the web - so you don't need to buy one.

Flash is a bit of an odd ball in that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to take a flash file and import to Final Cut. You need to find a third party tool to convert it to a quicktime (.mov) file first.

Kings Lynn. UK

Hi I have corel videostudio pro x2 sorry,... I am a complete novice but it converts everything I do into FLV easily for uploading to the public domain. I also skanked ( got a free copy) a programme off the internet for free which converts from FLV to other formats which my editor can then process as it doesn't read or play FLV, just converts it....

The free converter I use is AVC all video converter and works suprisongly well . Pity I ain't got better editing software though...AVC also converts to AVI
    Last edited by TFV; 06-02-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistake,........... silly me

6. Default

Thanks a lot! And I use Macvide FlashVideo Converter (macvide com).

I've done it through After Effects in the past, if you have CS3 that program comes with it.

Hengelo (Holland)

I always use compressor.

drag and drop your FLV to the box on the top left.
    Then duplicate a setting, so that it appears as custom setting and edit it in the box in the middle of your screen.
    Drag the new setting onto the FLV file, choose a target (destination for your new file) and submit.

If you need a full manual, let me know.