Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compression

1. Default Compression

Does anybody have any tips about compression?

I have a wedding that comes in at just under one hour but it won't fit on a 4.7GB DVD and some of the compression tools I have tried really diminish quality. The best compressor (DIVX) wasn't THAT bad, but any movement in the shot and there were "fuzzy lines" attaching themselves to every person in frame. I have been battling with this for some time - any (cheap) solutions?

Are you rendering a mpeg2 format ? the only way to reduce the file size is to lower the bit rate. With trial and error you'll find a happy balance with quality and size. You could lower the resolution but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Are you rendering a mpeg2 format ? the only way to reduce the file size is to lower the bit rate. With trial and error you'll find a happy balance with quality and size. You could lower the resolution but I wouldn't recommend doing that.
    MPEG2, yes.

I was actually thinking about just going for dual-layer discs even though they are a bit more expensive. Are they worth it for the amount of hassle you can avoid?

I've never had to use them so I couldn't comment on that. It may be a solution for this one occasion.

A 1 hour video will easily fit a 4.7gb (4.3) as an mpeg2 at CBR6 - Good quality too.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

590 divided by the minutes (of the finished project) equals the bit rate.

590 divided by 60 (mins) = 9.8

Paul.

Thats a useful little sum.

Is it true that SD DVD's don't really need more than 8Mb bit rate ?

8. Default

The final project comes in at a whopping 8GB. It is an AVI file and approx 49 minutes in length. I realise there is a problem here. I am using Sony Vegas and DVD Architect. I have used many different types of compression software to no avail (including MPEG2, etc) - they all give horrible to average quality. I realise that there is a solution to this problem and that I am doing something wrong here and would appreciate any pointers in the right direction! Thanks.

If you render the project to mpeg2 format with the DVD Architect template. This should give you the right file size to fit on a DVD and the quality should be ok.

One tip to get a smaller file size of an mpeg2 is to choose the variable bit rate option with the two pass box ticked it just takes twice as long to render. BUT, like I said, just using the standard template should sort out your problem.

If you follow the logic given to us by pkbristol so long as you don't go over 9.8 Mb bite rate you will be able to fit a one hour video onto a DVD.

There's a well known bitrate calculator here Bitrate Calculator

I've never, ever gone above 6 and always converted 1 hour AVI to MPEG2 on a CBR of 6.
    Maxing at 2 and a quarter hours on VBR of 4 -5.
    Anything above that timewise goes on 2 DVDs.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast