Thread: Making a Widescreen Video Render as Widescreen

1. Default Making a Widescreen Video Render as Widescreen

I have Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 (not Pro) and I have an HD widescreen video that I am trying to render as widescreen. I heard that I am supposed to select the HDV 1280x720 option in the video properties. However, that option is not present in the video properties. I tried making a custom width and height, but Vegas automatically changes it to what it was before. Is the 1280x720 option, perhaps, not available if I don't have Pro? If it helps, the video is from my Kodak Zi6 camera that I converted from .mov to .wmv.
    Last edited by Quackulator; 04-20-2010 at 11:27 PM.

is your project HD or SD?

If SD then just select the Widescreen option in render.

(The following ws don in Plat 9)

3. Default

Thank you for your reply. My project is HD. I've seen videos of other people's template lists and they have many more templates. Is this because they have Pro?

The pro has more templates and you can make your own as well

5. Default

When I try to make a custom template, Vegas says "Vegas Movie Studio does not support output of frame sizes greater then 1440 (width) by 1080 (height)." Is it impossible to make a widescreen video in Vegas Movie Studio?

I presume you are trying to make a 1920 x 1080. Is that the resolution you shot in ? Your earlier post is not clear. If not, you won't benefit from rendering in a higher resolution than you shot the original footage. For better quality try increasing the bit rate. BUT keep the original resolution ie SD 720 x 576 for PAL or 720 x 480 for NTSC.

Hope this helps.

7. Default

Sorry, I'm not very good with this kind of stuff. Basically, all I want to to do is render this video as widescreen. I don't really care if it's not HD. I really appreciate your help.

Then as Z Cheema said, just choose a DV Widescreen template. By the way did you know that you have to change the name of the standard template if you alter the settings to save it. That could be the problem you were having in your first post.

9. Default

Unfortunately, there are still black bars on the side, but they are smaller than before. What should the pixel aspect ratio be (I'm assuming widescreen)?

If you are using the mpeg2 template the pixel aspect ratio option is 16:9