Thread: cant import .avi files to adobe premiere

Default cant import .avi files to adobe premiere

Hi, i have adobe premiere elements 7. I use my sony digital camera to make videos and I cant import them to premiere. It says "unsupported compression in file". It is a .avi file. I remember having this probably a few years back but don't remember what I did to fix it. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

also, one more question... how do I get the video clips to fit screen... i forgot that process, i remember right clicking each clip and doing it, i just dont remember how... thanks!

can anyone help please?

I recommend running a program named GSPOT to identify which codec is used for the Video.
    I suspect the file must be converted before Premiere will accept it.
    If you post the details, someone may likely recommend a suitable video conversion program.

i use to not have to convert it though, but do you know how to get the video to fit the screen?

First you wrote "I remember having this probably a few years back but don't remember what I did to fix it". They you wrote "i use to not have to convert it though".
    What are the results from GSPOT?

Sorry. I don't understand the 2nd issue, "how do I get the video clips to fit screen".
    Are you asking how to resize the original video so it fits into the size of the Premiere project?

The more information you give, the higher a chance someone can offer help.

make 1 at the right size, and after that use copy+paste atributtes command ( ctrl+c to copy and ctrl-alt+v to paste).

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    First you wrote "I remember having this probably a few years back but don't remember what I did to fix it". They you wrote "i use to not have to convert it though".
    What are the results from GSPOT?

Sorry. I don't understand the 2nd issue, "how do I get the video clips to fit screen".
    Are you asking how to resize the original video so it fits into the size of the Premiere project?

The more information you give, the higher a chance someone can offer help.
    no i said "i use to not have to convert it"... but yah, im trying to get the original video so it fits the screen size in premiere project...