Thread: Adobe Premiere Pro-Creating Clips

Default Adobe Premiere Pro-Creating Clips

As a newbie to the forum having just found my way here via a search (looks a really useful site to have available)I'm hoping someone can help with the following.

I'm working with a neighbour who has just got Premiere Pro and knew that I used a very early version many years ago when W95 was all the rage!

I've been able to get him started but I'm now stuck.

He has several movie films captured from his camcorder and wants to convert these to DVD eventually (he's also thinking of buying Adobe DVD Encore at some stage to create menus etc) to give to members of his family.

He wants to create clips from the movie files so that he can mix and match the final content of the DVDs he produces (hopefully), to specific family members. He has downloaded an Adobe Encore tutorial movie from http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotut...tut_encore.htm that suggests using clips is a simpler way to produce the final DVD so that the user can either play the whole thing from beginning to end or go to specific sections(clips). This appeals to him as he understands the concept!

We are using a small 30 minute test file as a trial and we have set sequence markers in the timeline to mark out the clips he wants and we can drag these to the Monitor window but we have been unable to work out how to save these as individual clips.

Can someone help please and provide a simple solution that I can talk him through?

Also, if anyone can point to some good, clear, tutorials that would be great.
    Thanks
    Soltek SL-75DRV5 [BIOS T1.8]
    Athlon XP 1800+ (1.55GHz)
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    1GB DDR PC2100 RAM
    NVIDIA Geforce FX5600-128MB
    Pioneer DVR-108 [firmware 1.18]
    Lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S (firmware GS0P)
    Samtron 93V TFT 17\" Monitor
    SB 5.1Live! Digital Sound
    Epson Stylus Photo 750 Printer
    Epson Stylus Photo R900 printer
    Be@rPaw 2400TA Plus Scanner
    Computer Eyes USB Webcam
    Microsoft Sidewinder Plus Force Feedback Pro Joystick

If I understand you right you have a single clip 30 minutes long and after performing the necessary export(s) in premiere Pro you want to master a DVD where you can play individual sections of the original clip or play all sections. right?

Well, if it's not important on playing each section and returning to the menu then this is the easy answer. Just create a single timeline in Encore with appropriate chapter points and then have menu buttons for each chapter point. Once playing though, it will run to the end - which might not be what you want.

your best option would e to export multiple smaller clips from Premiere Pro and then create a seperate timeline in Enco're for each one.

presumaly you have a single sequence in premiere at the moment with all yoru edits in it. Create a new sequence fro each clip you want in Encore and drag the original sequecne on to it. now trim as necessary and export. Simple. This will not change your original footage.

Or just create individual sequences fro individual clips from your master clip. Easy if you've not already down loads of edits on your current large sequence.

premier Pro is good like this. You can nest sequences and use them as assets within other sequences.

Thanks for the reply Alan

Ideally I'd like the user to get sent back to the main menu after viewing any section so creating separate clips in Premiere, as suggested in the tutorial video I mentioned and by you, looks like the way to go.

I'm just playing about a the moment with some footage my neighbour shot at Christmas and we've made a copy of the original so that nothing we do will have catastrophic result! Our plan is to make a small DVD from that just to check that we understand the principle of the whole thing.

It's a slow learning process, especially at my age but I'll get there in the end.

Could I tack an extra question on please?

I know that the tutorial video suggests saving in .AVI format so that Encore doesn't have to recode but there may be times when it would be useful to have footage saved in a different format, especially as AVI files are huge.

I know that using the Adobe Media Encoder in Premiere allows the project to be exported in different formats, such as MPEG (also large files) and WMV (much smaller).

My neighbour said that he did play about with exporting in different formats just to see what happened but he noticed that when he played back a WMV file the image was much smaller than the original AVI.

I've played lots of WMV files and the image has usually been OK so is there a way around this?

I see that you are in the UK so would you care to offer any advice as to what settings to use when exporting for PAL?

Thanks
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    1GB DDR PC2100 RAM
    Computer Eyes USB Webcam

Blog Entries

WMV is a more heaviliy compressed method of video compression than MPEG2. Generally speaking, the higher the bitrate of video, the higher the quality and the higher the file size. WMV can produce a better image quality for any given bitrate twoards the lower end of the scale. Its current use is towards web distribution due to this fact, and the frame size is typically smaller to enchance this.

MPEG2 however is part of the DVD standard and miust be used to create a DVD. You can import MPEG files to Encore for use in your project. I would not sugget you import WMV files as these would have to be transcoded to MPEG2, at an enivitable hit on quality (WMV is a lossy codec).

Thanks for the info Marc.

Assuming WMV is the format required for a particular project, is it possible to alter the final frame size?

Out of interest can you give me a comparison on file size for say a 30 minute movie when saved as AVI & MPEG?

Any thoughts as to the best encoder settings to use for PAL?

Thanks
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    1GB DDR PC2100 RAM
    Computer Eyes USB Webcam

Sorry about the thread hijack, but i just wanted to thank ol' wrinkly for posting the link to the tutorials. The Encore one is pretty kick ass!
    Thanks again!