Thread: Camcorder specification problem

Smile Film Back Problem

Hi i have the sanyo xacti vpc-cg10 and it shoots in both Video and still image.
    In still image mode the film back is 1/2.33 inch making it 6.13 x 4.6 mm and the focal length is 6.8mm. The images are 3:4 aspect ratio.

When in video mode it shoots in HD 1280 x 720 so in 16:9 aspect ratio.
    I need to know what the film back size is when its shooting HD 1280 x 720 and the focal length if it is not the same.

If anyone can help me with this i will be forever greatful!!

Here is a full spec of the camera if it helps.

Digital Camera | Compact HD | VPC-CG10 Specs | Xacti SANYO

if you need anymore info please ask and i will do my best to answer your questions.
    Last edited by necrokill; 04-20-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: To change title

Blog Entries

I have absolutely no idea what you're asking, but I googled and found the means for you to find an answer: CGTalk - Film Back for Digital Camcorders?

I think you'll find Marc, that he is looking for the sensor size.

From the spec linked to it gives the focal length for video as a 35mm equivelent of 40-200mm (i.e. 5x optical zoom) and a 35mm equivelent of 38-190mm.
    The resolution used for hd is 1280x720 whereas the camera has an 8.28mp sensor for video. (effective pixels) It is therefore safe to assume (said he ) that the camera is using blocks of 9 pixels n the sensor to achive 1 pixel in the HD video file.
    Why you would need any more information than this is beyond me!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Thanks Mark

Hi Ian,

Im a bit of a newbee at the whole video editing and im trying to achieve a matchmove in boujou which i need to enter the film back and focal length.

From that information you gained would you be able to assess what the exact un-zoomed film back and focal length are in mm?

I think the focal length is 35mm from your information just need to know what the film back is?

Sorry if thats a silly question to ask.

I would be really greatfull if you could help me with it tho!
    Last edited by necrokill; 04-21-2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: edit question

1st, the focal length of lenses don't change with the sensor size, so the focal length at the widest setting is still 6.8mm.

Manufacturers, and photographers/videographers in general, use a '35mm equivalent' to give an idea of the angle of view that you would get with a particular lens. 35mm in this case refers to the standard film stock that was used for many years in both the movie industry and in '35mm' still cameras.
    A lens on the 35mm film stock gives a 'normal' field of view at 50mm focal length. Therefore a shorter focal length, i.e. 35mm would give a wider angle view and a longer focal length i.e. 200mm would give a telephoto or narrower field of view.

As far as the sensor size on your camera is concerned, the specs you have linked to have too many (approx) sizes to do it absolutely accurately. However, as the focal length equivalents for the two modes are close together, we can assume that they are using the full frame width of 6.13mm and therefore the frame height would be 3.44mm in video mode. So the answer should be 6.13x3.44mm.

I hope that helps.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

Thanks Ian that is great.

I just worked it out from your guidance and it comes to 6.13 x 3.4481mm if anyone else needs it.

Thanks again!

Rich

Wow. I'm very impresses with you knowledge Ian. It amazes me how some people know stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Wow. I'm very impresses with you knowledge Ian. It amazes me how some people know stuff like this.
    No life to speak of!!

Knowledgeable and modest. Two great human characteristics. and a sense of humour.