Thread: Syncing audio from digital recorder.

Default Syncing audio from digital recorder.

Can anyone tell me if this would be realistic?

I have a very basic camera (Flip HD), that I am trying to use to capture elaborate pranks and social experiments. However, I need to place the camera at a distance, but I still need to capture what people are saying.

I was thinking of taking a digital voice recorder and putting it in a shirt pocket, then syncing the audio to the video in the mixing stage.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks to make this process a little less tedious?

Thanks

-Marcus

Blog Entries

The usual way is to record a short sharp sound. This is one of the functions of a clapperboard, but a crisp hand-clap will do. This will give you a spike on the timeline for the audio of both clips. Simply align the one from the digital recrder with the one from the camera.
    If it's a really long way - such that the Flip cannot pick up the sound of the handclap, make it very visual as well.
    Tim

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help Tim. That makes perfect sense... that way I can just sync the individual sound and the whole video will be in time.

Blog Entries

Another tip. If you're recording one long take (ie 30 minutes or more) try to insert a sharp noise every few minutes in case of any drift.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Like in a classical concert, especially soft romantic ones. Have a word with the percussionist and see if he can, at the end of particularly soft sections, stand up and give a couple of cymbals a really good crash. That way you see the cymbals (like a clapper board) and you get a spike on the audio.

Sorry Tim, bit of a Viz moment there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Have a word with the percussionist ...stand up and give a couple of cymbals a really good crash.
    Genuine laugh out loud moment, Gaffer
    Tim

aaaa so drift can occur, i have been worried about this.

is it common ? and easy to correct ?

Blog Entries

It does happen but is quite rare on short sequences. Current digital technology is almost painfully accurate and at the end of a half hour sequence you'd be really unlucky if you were more than a couple of frames out.

It depends on the recorder. A halfway decent digital recorder such as a Zoom, Marantz or Edirol will have virually no drift. Some Mini-disc systems did tend to move off sync and we had guys on this forum who had to correct every minute, others who got a whole hour show in sync.

It's very easy to correct the sound-sync in post.