Thread: Corel VideoStudio 2010 and MP4 H.264

Default Corel VideoStudio 2010 and MP4 H.264

Hi everyone,

I'm used to importing video from tape to Pinnicle Studio 9 however I bought a new Samsung U10 camcorder and it records in MP4 / H.264 compression so I'm looking for some software that is compatible. I downloaded a trial version of Corel Digital Studio 2010 but for some reason its not recognising my videos on the camera. I even transfered them to my laptop (Dell Inspiron 2gig ram, 2 gig cpu) and the program does not import them. I looked on the programs input specs and MP4/H.264 is compatible. DOes anyone have any ideas?

I looked at pinnicle studio 12 but there is no trial version plus its double the cost.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks
    Darren

Digital Studio is Corel's absolute basic video editor and personally I have seen a bunch of people on the Corel forums have trouble with it.

Corel have just released VideoStudio Pro X3 which I know handles h.264 very well and in itself is very nice.

They offer a trial as do Cyberlink PowerDirector and Adobe Premier Elements... there are others I can't think of right now!

thanks Lance. Installed VideoStudio Pro X3 and it looks good, very similar to Pinnicle Studio 9.
    Seems to have problems when playing a project, play back very choppy but when fully rendered its fine.

Will continue too have a play.

Cheer
    Darren

Hi Darren,
    One thing to remember is that h.264 gets it's ability to compress so heavily yet retain quality by throwing a heap of work at the processor and other computer resources.
    I wrote a full post on it here:
    MPEG2 Editing MPEG4 Editing Software

Playback means that the computer is throwing everything together on the fly so when editing h.264 its a good idea to shut down EVERYTHING you can think of on the computer to release resources to the software.

I think I have the same problem. I'am using video's from my Samsung Galaxy SII in mp4 format and Corel VideoStudio X2 does not support it.
    How can I be sure the upgrade to X4 will?
    I know my Samsung is recording in mp4. But how do I see it is in h.264 format?

Thanks
    Dirk Jan

Ok, now no giggling here! Do a search for a free utility called G-Spot... yes, G-Spot.
    Ignore the obvious results and look for the one that has something to do with video files!
    Download and install. Then point the program to one of your cam files and it will tell you exactly the properties of the file.

Thanks
    I,ve read your articles. Very good!

2 hours later:
    I,ve found the G-spot
    Works fine.

Dirk Jan
    Last edited by Dirk Jan; 01-29-2012 at 02:55 PM.