Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: March - October 2010: Street Songs

Default March - October 2010: Street Songs

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-22-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: New version

As commented in the previous thread, an excellent piece of work. There is obviously a lot of effort in it, and it shows. Thanks for posting.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

Blog Entries

I really, really liked that. The images, the story, the concept. They all fitted really well. It flowed well, the editing fitted the concept and the effects all added to the movie without detracting from the images.
    The actors were superb. I'm assuming that they are friends/family but if you said that they're professional actors I'd believe you. All of them convinced me in their roles.

The music/lyrics/recording was very good, I'll be looking for the album after posting this. However, the video passed the "mute" test. Even with the sound off, it looked good. Really good.

As always there's a difference of opinion on something. I found some of the images too dark and lacking in contrast. Especially the long shots of the streetwalker and some of the black & white footage. The lighting was good, just too little of it! Others will no doubt disagree.

I'd be more than happy if I'd made that video, and am envious that I didn't! Well done mate!

Thanks guys, it means a lot that it's worked after all the effort I put in to it. It is the reason I joined the forum, to learn how to put my idea into reality but without breaking the bank. Before this I'd only ever done dogs in the garden, Birthdays, day's out etc. So thanks to everybody who has helped me learn over these past 6 months. You all deserve a credit.

Gaffer You are so right about the lighting of the long shots I used all the lights I had and opened the iris right up but it's these shots are still to dark. It was fun freaking the neighbours out when we shot the externals. We are getting a bit a reputation, especially my wife dressed like that.

east anglia

Lacking in contrast perhaps but surely not too dark for the mood being created?

6. Default

Very powerful.
    Yes I cried at a couple of points, always a good indicator for me of images & music combining perfectly & creating more than the sum of their parts.
    It looked very well planned & put together, with some great acting.
    Your wife must have some bottle walking around the neighbourhood like that!
    Nobody in our road has the faintest idea 3 middle aged women rock the nation from the green screen in my lounge!
    Have to agree with Gaffer about the lighting (not that I'm an expert) but it did seem lacking in contrast at some points.
    You've obviously spent a lot of time on this project & it shows. You must be very proud of it.

Thanks for watching Sarah. Not the most cheery story is it. May be it's time you lot got out onto the streets. That didn't sound right. I meant come out of the closet. Well you know what I'm trying to say.

I agree that the contrast in parts are not what they could be. I think it looks a bit worse on YouTube than the copy I've got but I'm not trying to make excuses it's not 100% right. I'm really not very good at image manipulation using Vegas. I don't even know the best tool to use. I had a go with the Brightness Contrast tool and it just looked rubbish.

8. Default

I'm sure we have a lot less idea what we're doing in Vegas than you Midnight, but we've always found the Colour corrector tool & the Colour corrector secondary great for adding more contrast rather than the Brightness & Contrast tool.

Thanks for the tip Sarah. I gave it a try and it does seem better than the Brightness Contrast tool but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

I am impressed. So many of the scenes contained detailed and interesting objects. Rain, water drops on car, streaks of light from dancer's arms; nighttime street scenes.
    It was also interesting to see how well scenes can look even when there are huge patches of blackness.
    I did not find the video boring, and appreciate the song itself lasts a long time; but I might have preferred it a little shorter. Or for there to be more story.
    I particularly liked the sensitive way the subject was treated. The actors were excellent, and I smiled at the credits given for the 'catering'.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast