Thread: How to deal with White Noise?

Default How to deal with White Noise?

To get started; I have Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 (this comes with the Sound Forge)

Howdy. I just filmed an interview using a new microphone (Rode Videomic) and noticed a lot of "noise" in the video. The microphone picked up the white noise in the building provided by the air conditioning. How do you guys deal with white noise if its in your video.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Blog Entries

If you've got Sound Forge proper (and not the "Audio Studio" version) it comes with the by all accounts excellent Sony Noise Reduction.
    If not, Audacity (free) has a similar facility. I use GoldWave.
    The principle is you select a very small section of the recording which has just the background noise, then the noise reduction software effectibvely "subtracts" that from the whole recording.
    Often you need to do this a number of times, monitoring carefully in between.
    If you select too large a section, or try to overcook the noise reduction, you'll get artifacts (the "underwater" sound we used to hear a lot with mobile phones).
    I think this will be pretty effective for white noise. I dod it nearly all the time for my voiceovers which are recorded on most definitely amateur gear.
    Tim

The noise reduction will(should) also be in Vegas if the plug-in is installed by Sound Forge

Do make sure you have set your Audio bitrate correctly. I recently had an MP4 readjust my bitrate downwards! I had "white noise" - and it wasn't. I would not call AirCon "WhiteNoise"?

Thanks for all the guidance. Unfortunately, I have the Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 9.0. However, I just opened it and did a quick search for "Noise Reduction" and it recommended that I use the "ExpressFX Audio Restoration" tool. Have you guys ever used this plug in?

While we're on the topic of Audio, I've only tried to edit audio once. Obviously, I have Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio set in my Vegas Movie Studio as the audio editor. The only time I opened a video clip up for editing, the Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio resized my video file.

The movie studio is a non-destructive software package meaning it doesn't change the original source file. Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio however, is destructive. After opening the video clip, making the necessary adjustments to the audio, then saving/rendering, it change the video. I thought I was only editing the audio in sound forge, but I was wrong.

Now I'm 100% convinced that this was an error on my part. It was the 1st time I had used the program, but I don't see how I can change the video settings in Sound Forge Audio Studio. Does it have a preset format it renders video in?

Blog Entries

Hi claycope. Firstly I have no idea about the "ExpressFX Audio Restoration" tool, but it certainly doesn't have the sort of noise reduction facility I was describing. I'd seriously download Audacity and have a play. Unless, of course you can afford the full blown Sony Noise Reduction plug-in.

Sorry about you learning the hard way about how Sound Forge will eat your source.

Others, I'm sure are different but I always work from within Vegas.
    I right click on the audio I want to edit and then select "Open copy in Audio Editor" (Or in your case "Open copy in Sound Forge Audio Studio")
    This creates a copy of the audio (called something like Myevent - take 2.wav) which is what opens in Sound Forge and when you finish editing in Sound Forge replaces the original take with theedited version. But the original remains intact.
    Tim

Thanks for the guidance. I did some more experimenting and found that opening the audio track in sound forge by selecting "open copy" works. I must have not selected this one previously. Looking forward to giving Audacity a try. Thanks again!