Thread: best speed to shoot to get slight slow-motion effect in music video?

Default best speed to shoot to get slight slow-motion effect in music video?

Hi,

We're doing a minimal video production this Sunday. We want to achieve a slight slow-motion effect for a music video. Shooting with Canon 5D. What speed should we shoot with the camera?

1. 59.98 frames per second (or is it 59.96) and slow it down to 23.98 frames afterwards. OR,
    2. 50fps and then bring it to 25 (or 23.9

The 1st option means we need to lip sync to our song played 2.5 times as fast, which may be difficult/weird. The 2nd option means 2x as fast - might work better.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a slow-motion standard for music videos? (Coldplay's "Yellow" is at a quite nice speed.)

Many thanks!

Your confusing frames with slow motion, it depends on how quick they are played back, in the UK PAL 50i will allways be 50i no matter what the speed of the video.

Speed up or slow down your song by a percentage % eg +-50% or 100% then in the edit suite do the same for the video.

I tend to use 50 to 75% slow-mo for confetti shots and they work quite well

cool.. yeah, i don't much about video, i work in audio production. so, it seems you're saying that i can speed up the song by 50-75% for a nice slowmo result? that seems more reasonable to me than 2x or 2.5x times as fast - we only want a slight slow-motion effect. can u post links here to some of your confetti shots? thanks!!

Look at me site on the Film clips section, there are some clips in there part of the highlights.

This clip is all slow mo because of the music

nice! do u remember by approx what % u slowed down the footage? thanks again

about 50% of normal play , with the odd 33% of normal play (depends how much of a gap I have to fill between beats)

i understand the 50% - but sorry, what do u mean by 33% ? thanks